One Gallon Batch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeRoe

Reaction score
Been brewing 5 gallons for quite some time now, looking to scale it down allowing me to brew on a weekly basis and experiment etc. etc.

I'm wondering how much of a dry yeast packet should I pitch? 1/5? If so, what to do with the other 4/5? Can I store it somehow for a later batch? If so, how?

I wouldnt store it unless you know of a way to reliably sanitize and reseal it

just pitch your eyeball estimate of 1/4 pack or so. Or suck it up and brew more beer. Not being able to consume it all never stopped me. Just make more friends

I tape it shut and store it in the fridge, never had a problem. Just spray some Starsan on the packet before you cut it open again.

I have been storing my partial packets for over a year, vacuum sealed in the freezer. I've got a thread going documenting the success. I simply Pour out the yeast I need, by measuring the weight loss of the packet, fold it over and toss into a container to seal and put in the chest freezer. I use mason jars now.

I tape it shut and store it in the fridge, never had a problem. Just spray some Starsan on the packet before you cut it open again.

I also store open packs of dry yeast exactly as described.

I use 1/3 packet per batch to be safe but I doubt you would have an issue using 1/4 or even 1/5.

Weigh out how much you need, then just fold over the pack, tape, and place in clean ziplock bag and store in fridge until needed. Provided it stays dry and sealed, you will not have any issues storing for .......... almost forever.

Even sanitizing the pack before cutting open seems OTT. Probably best to keep the pack dry. Yes, clean and sanitize whatever you use to cut the pack with. Alcohol may be the best way to sanitize any scissors as it dries quick.

Latest posts

Back