One Fridge, Two Temps. Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
For those getting a little more serious, the need to be able to ferment, lager, and dispense concurrently presents a problem.
Essentially this means up to three different temps.
Before I augment my chest freezer with 2 more fridges/freezers, I wonder if there is another way.
So I'm thinking, would it be possible to partition off a section of the fridge with a board of foam, mount a pc fan into the partition, and use a second thermostat or controller to turn the fan on an off to supply cold air across the partition.
Would it work?
Where would you put the partition?
Here are pics of my freezer.
You can see where the compressor hump is in the second.
Would this be where the cold emits from, or would it emit from all over?
Probably wouldn't work if it was from all over, would it?
What do you think?

freezer1.jpg

freezer2.jpg

The heat is sucked out of the whole freezer into the coils that line the walls of the freezer. I suppose you can do things like use this as your coldest chamber and plumb air out/ air in ducts to a foam box next to it. That would be your lager ferment chamber. In any case, I have two freezers to avoid all the trouble.

i would just get another freezer you can pick them up on craigslist for cheap. or just serve your beer at lager temps ;)

if you are brewing lager beers they need to ferment around 50-55F if iirc and lager at 32-35F. you could purchase an igloo ice cube and ferment in that with frozen soda bottles then when its time to lager rack your beer into a keg and stick it in your freezer (if you keep your beer that cold i personally kept mine around that temp when i had a lager in it, ive since raised them temp up to around 35-37F)

if you have ales on tap you can pour it and lit it sit at room temp to warm up a bit if your freezer is that cold.

It could probably be done, but I agree that it would be easier to just get another chest freezer.

Given that your freezer is relatively small, I don't think it is worth it due to the amount of space you will lose to insulation.

If you really wanted to you could build a foam insulation box in part of your freezer and have an additional two stage temp controller for that box. The cool side of the controller would run some fans to pull cold air from the cold part while the warm side would run a "brew belt"/heating pad/some other heat source to warm the form box.

Back