One Cider Two Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfSudz

Reaction score
So I picked up 6 gallons of cider from the orchard last week, and the available fermenters I had on hand could a accommodate a 5 gallon batch and a 1 gallon batch. For the large batch I used the WL English Cider yeast, and for the 1 gallon batch I used a Cote des blancs.

The cote des blancs batch is much lighter in color than the white labs batch (roughly an orange color vs a dark orange color).

I'm wondering if the yeast can affect the color that much, or if there are possibly other factors in play?

The cote des blancs finished fermenting a few days ago and is right at 1.000, while the WL is still going and is right around 1.004.

So I am also wondering if a larger batch just naturally takes longer to ferment, or if again it was due to the yeast? I've come to understand that the Cote des blancs is a pretty slow fermenter.

The color(s) you're seeing right now are mostly just yeast in suspension & will change when the yeast drops out. Some yeasts can indeed change color, but this is mostly just with red grape wine musts, shouldn't have much effect on your cider.

Different yeasts ferment at different speeds. Also, you used 1 packet for each batch; giving the 1 gal batch a much higher yeast population to start with, so yes, it would likely finish sooner.
Regards, GF.

Back