One Boilermaker All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam99

Reaction score
I am getting a 10gal Boilermaker for xmas and I am looking at adding the false bottom to the order. I just recently built a 10gal Rubbermaid MLT and have done 2 very successful AG batches in it.
Now for my question...Could I just do my Mash in the Boilermaker (with the falsbottom) on my burner (to maintain mash temp) and collect the wort in a alepail (batch sparging). When I have my pre boil collected in the bucket I could give the boilermaker a quick rinse and then add the wort back to the kettle and start my boil. Would this work? What problems would I run into?

Sounds like alot of work when you already have a MLT...Its possible, only thing I could see is potential for bacteria contamination or possibly contribute to hot-side aeration

Instead of spending almost $100.00 on a false bottom, why not just make/buy a bag and do Brew-in-a-bag in the Boilermaker, then you don't need the Rubbermaid MLT OR to rinse the Boilermaker. Everything would be done in the singel vessel without the extra steps.

You could also heat strike water in the Blichmann, use the Rubbermaid as your MASH tun, since it will maintain temps MUCH better than the Blichmann, post-mash, drain back into the Blichmann to use a as a boil kettle. This way also saves you a few steps over your OP, plus you don't have to worry about figuring out how to maintain the mash temp of the Blichmann as a mash tun, which can be difficult.

I currently use one for a mash. I learned that you have to have a pump to circulate the mash or else the FB captures too much heat from the burner. Thus scorching the bottom very badly. Very quickly as well.

Again, mash in the cooler, not in the Blichmann. If you mash in the Blichmann, you are going to have to put a good bit of effort into stabalizing the mash temp for 60 minutes. If you mash in the cooler and use the Blichmann as your HLT/MLT and Boil Kettle, then you just get the mash temp right in the cooler and forget it for 60 minutes. Maintaining a 153 or whatever mash temp for 60 minuites in a SS vessel with just a propane burner is a PITA.

You can mash in the Blichmann with the false bottom if you really want to, but I'm just telling you there are far easier ways!

Easier than cleaning it out after mashing/sparging, why not do BIAB in there instead? Although if you already have the cooler, I agree with others that a cooler will hold temps much better than a pot with no insulation.

Back