on propane burners and regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
for the past 5 years, I've been using a turkey fryer for my boils. It's pretty close to one of these , and the burner looks exactly like this.

Last week, I let the hose get too close to the burner and it cooked a hole in the propane hose. fortunately, I saw it before anything really bad happened... I was heating up sparge water and hadn't even gotten to the boil. On the fly, i had to switch up to a partial boil so I could finish it on the stove - beer came out great, but that's not really what I'm here to ask about.

I need a new hose/regulator. My old regulator said it was for 10 psi. I see that there is only a $3 difference at http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ between a 10 psi and 30 psi regulator. couple of questions:

1. is it safe to up the PSI on an existing burner? per bayouclassicdepot, it should be ok but I didn't buy my burner from there.
  2. what is the benefit of a 30 psi regulator? I'm assuming more heat into water equals faster boil, right?
  3. what can go wrong?
  4. am I better off just getting one of these?

thanks!

Those burners are meant to be used with 10 psi regulators and you really won't get any additional output by going the the 30 psi model. They only put out around 58,000 btu. After impatiently waiting for my last batch to boil, I got frustrated and just purchased the Bayou classic KAB4 cooker (210,000 btu). It's about $50-$60 more than what a new regulator will cost you but it's money well spent

Edit: didn't see your last pick, I'd say go for that.

Back