Omega 091

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acroporabrewer

Reaction score
I purchased some Omega 091 a few days ago and are going to be brewing with it tomorrow! I always harvest my yeast and I want to get a good amount from this brew to use as my regular yeast. For that reason, I'm starting out with a non hoppy beer. I'll reuse this yeast for a hoppy NEIPA but harvesting the yeast from this style can cause issues with the yeast, from what I have found. Anyways, what are some good non hoppy styles to brew with this yeast? I was thinking about doing a wheat based brew and maybe add some fruit additions after the fermentation and yeast harvest has taken place. I really don't want to do a raw grain batch right away but I might consider it in the future. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I purchased some Omega 091 a few days ago and are going to be brewing with it tomorrow! I always harvest my yeast and I want to get a good amount from this brew to use as my regular yeast. For that reason, I'm starting out with a non hoppy beer. I'll reuse this yeast for a hoppy NEIPA but harvesting the yeast from this style can cause issues with the yeast, from what I have found. Anyways, what are some good non hoppy styles to brew with this yeast? I was thinking about doing a wheat based brew and maybe add some fruit additions after the fermentation and yeast harvest has taken place. I really don't want to do a raw grain batch right away but I might consider it in the future. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Only pitch half your pack and then build a starter with the other half. Harvest from there. I pitched 1/2 a pack and hit fg in 36 hours

Only pitch half your pack and then build a starter with the other half. Harvest from there. I pitched 1/2 a pack and hit fg in 36 hours
Thanks. I have a 7 bbl pitch but homebrewers know what's best so that's why I was looking for advice from you guys. I guess the fermentation will be finished before the dry hopping so I could harvest the yeast before the hopping takes place.

Thanks. I have a 7 bbl pitch but homebrewers know what's best so that's why I was looking for advice from you guys. I guess the fermentation will be finished before the dry hopping so I could harvest the yeast before the hopping takes place.
Yeah. If you under pitch and run it hot the esters really come out, which is perfect for you saving cooling times and energy cost to keep the fermentation temps down this time of year. Idk if you soft crash to drop the yeast before dryhoping but if you do then you def have a solid harvest. 091 flows well. Might be able to pull yeast after 4 days honestly. I went from 1.064 - 1.012 in 36 hours

Wow, that's amazing. I can't wait to see what this yeast does for me. Sounds like I should pitch half of the container? That's so scary because it is opposite of everything I've done in the past. I usually over pitch since I don't have a microscope to check out the yeast to see how good of a harvest I have collected.

I can't wait to only have to cool the wort to 95 degrees. We use so much water when cold crashing. Cost aside, it is just nice not to have to dump perfectly fine water down the drain. We sparge with a tankless heater so we can't really reuse the H2O

Wow, that's amazing. I can't wait to see what this yeast does for me. Sounds like I should pitch half of the container? That's so scary because it is opposite of everything I've done in the past. I usually over pitch since I don't have a microscope to check out the yeast to see how good of a harvest I have collected.
My estimated pitch was .4/mc/*p

Back