Olive Smell/Flavor, post kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capslock

Reaction score
Hey Friends - just joined the board today to ask this question, so I hope this is the right place.

I posted this in another brew forum, but I like getting multiple opinions...hopefully you guys can help.

2 weeks ago I brewed the following:
9lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.5lbs Special B
1.5lb Caramel 40L
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Chocolate malt
1lb Flaked Oats

Mashed @ 158 for 60min, Fly sparged with 175* water.
Boiled for 75min(my stove sucks), 1 addition of East Kent Goldings @45m remaining (2oz).
Pitched 2 packets of WLP002, Fermented at 66* for 2 weeks

My first ever batch was perfectly fine, no off flavors, nothing wrong with it. So I figured my methods were sound, and in general I'm extremely clean and careful with food and especially with brewing. So this last Saturday I kegged my 2nd ever batch. I filled my corny keg up, sealed it and tasted some of the beer that was in my carboy that wouldn't fit in the keg. It was great, tasted super sweet, reminded me a bit of Speedway Stout by Alesmith. So yesterday, it had been on CO2 for 16hrs @30psi, and was switching it over to my beer gas to let sit for a couple of days to get the nitrogen infused and decided to taste it. Well, it was...nasty. It tasted nothing like the pre-carbed beer...very olivey' I don't know how else to explain it.

So the keg I had literally cleaned the day of kegging. I used oxyclean and rinsed it extremely well. Sanitized the heck out of it with starsan, the posts/dip tube, etc.

What gives? My first beer tasted watered down and blah pre-carbonation but ended up tasting great...this beer tasted great pre-carbonation and now tastes funky as hell....what could possibly have gone wrong from Carboy->keg, or is it because of the carbonation that flavors are coming off this way? The carboy was clean, no signs of infection floating around, and again it tasted fantatstic pre-keg/carbonation.

The ONLY thing I can think of, is that I might have forgotten to purge the keg of O2 when I hooked up my gas...I think I remembered to but I may not have. Seems odd that oxidation would give off an olive-like flavor though.

Anyhow...Please help this noob!

Latest posts

Back