Old yeast fermented my starter. Now can I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I picked up an old packet of the Wyeast Trappist HG a few weeks back for $1. I forget the exact date but it was very old. Now I made a starter on Wednesday and it took until today to completely ferment the 1.8 liter starter. The batch I plan to brew today has an estimated OG of 1.068. My question is, am I ok to use this yeast and brew this batch today? Or do I have to step the starter up again due to the very old yeast? I would love to get this brew going today so any insight would be very much appreciated! :mug:

Also wanted to mention, this is going to be a belgian dubbel. So if I slightly under-pitched, wouldnt that be ok since many people purposely under-pitch belgian strains anyway?

So, exactly how old are we talking? A couple of months... or longer? I'm curious about how yours turns out since I have some expired yeast in the fridge, also. I was thinking of starting with a 1L starter, and then just stepping it up to a 2L, if it's still viable.

Edit: mine is expired by 2 years. It's a Wyeast smack pack that's been in the fridge hiding. If it turns out to be viable, I'll probably use it on some extra grains lying around. Something to experiment with.

If it took that long to ferment a 1.8L starter, I would step it up. No wait, I would tell myself that I should step it up and then there would be about a coin toss chance that I followed my own advice. I tend to **** things up by rushing them and that's why I have a keg of Buterscotch Porter in my keggerator right now.* (No, the fact that I'm having company for Thanksgiving is not a reason to think that the porter actually finished in 4 days. Hello, diacetyl.)

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but a starter should finish in 1-3 days, and if it doesn't, that tells you something about the cell count of your starter.

In the future, I would recommend revitalizing old yeast with a 800mL starter and then stepping up to a 1.8L starter.

*It's drinkable, but it would have been a lot better with a 2 day rest.

Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and brewed without stepping up. I pitched the yeast around 9pm and it was fermenting well by the next morning. I now have had full blowoff and a vigorous looking fermentation. If that is any indicator, I think this is going to be fine. Will update on how it tastes in 6-8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back