Old yeast and propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biergarden

Reaction score
Greeting...
I'm still new to winemaking and I have two packs of dry yeast from Lalvin that expired last November.
I have a erlenmeyer flask and a stir plate to see if I can step up the old yeast and have a better wine made. I just don't know how to go about it. Does anyone have any experience in that to stir me in the right direction?

All you can do is try to get it going in a sugar solution. If it works, great.

My wife was cleaning out the fridge yesterday and found 8 packs of various yeasts, some expired 4 years ago. I will keep them...just in case.

Would it be reasonable to buy a white grape juice that is free of preservatives to step up the yeast? Maybe with a small dose of yeast nutrient? Decant off the fermented juice and pitch the slurry maybe?

20161107_103053_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lalvin D47 propagation in frozen white grape juice.

I have used expired yeast before. Just use about 1 cup of water bring water to a boil add a few table spoons of sugar let water cool to about 80°f pitch the yeast and watch for fermentation. If that works you should be fine

Back