Old starter lifespan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2dsky

Reaction score
From Wyeast 1056 smackpac I made a starter back in the late winter. I crashed it and saved a little of the wort and about 1" of yeast in a pint jar in the fridge. Then did it again a few weeks later . . . made good beers with the starters. I still have a jar of that 1056 and need to brew again.

Was thinking I'd start building it back up this week for a brew this weekend. If it seemed alright - I'd use it, if not - I'd have time to go get another smackpac. It's at least 6 months old.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

If it's been refrigerated, I'd say it can't hurt to try a starter. I know that I had a hefe yeast that I started back in late winter (March?), and it was not refrigerated. It was funky when I tried to use it last week.

I've often used harvested yeast older than that, but it takes a while to get it going.
I'd start building it up to make sure it is still viable, and take a good sniff. If it smells normal, looks normal, and is fermenting, then I would use it. If it smells different, looks different, or doesn't start fermenting, then start again from scratch.

-a.

Back