Old Naproxen/ Alieve barrel for fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlyborn

Reaction score
A person nearby is selling blue plastic 20gal and 30gal barrels with removable lids. They said it was used for Naproxen/ Alieve. I don't know if it was in powder or pill form or if there was a bag inside. Asking price is $20 for the 30gal. I'm inclined to think they are okay to get but wanted another opinion. Thoughts, should they be safe to use after cleaning and sanitizing?

Regardless if they held granulate before tablet pressing, or finished tablets.. there is going to be a residue of magnesium stearate pressing lubricant in your barrel. It's not dangerous or toxic but a waxy fine powder that sticks to surfaces very well and effectively repels water. Just filling with PBW or oxy whatever wont wet it, you will need something with a surfactant.

Not to worry though hot water and dish soap with a little elbow grease will get it off. And then lots of rinsing to get rid of the soap.

I think those barrels usually ship with a bag inside for the dry ingredients (whether pill or powder).

I agree with everyone else... Give it a thorough rinse, a good soak with PBW or Oxiclean/TSP90 mix, another rinse, then a good spray down with Star San.

Then you'll have hit it with an oxidizer (sodium percarbonate in PBW or oxiclean), a moderate base (Sodium Metasilicate in PBW or TSP90) and and an acid (Star San).

I think you'll be fine... and remember naproxen can be ingested safely by humans. If any is left after all that cleaning, it'll probably much less than 2 Aleve tablets...

Back