Old Kegerator - Smells Bad - Can I Paint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LichtS

Reaction score
I acquired an old kegerator which I am restoring now. The inside of it smells bad. Can I paint the inside and then seal it up with foodgrade silicone where there are cracks? It's steel.

Thanks,

Steve

I bet if you cleaned it up really good with bleach , then let some baking soda sit in it for a day you'd be fine. I acquired an old chest freezer that smelled like it only stored fish. Cleaned it up and it smelled good as new. But I don't see anything wrong with painting it either. Yes seal those cracks. IMO I don't think food grade is necessary, your beer won't be touching it. Its not going to permeate your kegs. Although I am no expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

When I got my chest freezer, it had been used to store meat. Mostly wild game. And it was pretty obvious.

I left 2 small containers, one filled with vinegar and the other with coffee grounds, in there for about a week (after thoroughly cleaning it), and it did a great job of eliminating the smell.

Hmm... Well. I may paint it just because I am anal and I want everything to look as good as possible. Will also clean with Vinegar and what not also. Thanks for the tips guys!

I would work to get rid of the smell first, then paint. If you paint over it there is no guarantee that the smell will be sealed up by the paint.

Back