Old keg for brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Who uses and old keg for brewing? I am doing all grain brewing. And currently use a 7 gallon pot. Not. Lot of room left over when it boils up.i have a 15 gallon keg that currently holds all my yard tools. I want to clean it out and give it a try...thoughts?

Most people who are using kegs (often called Keggles) usually are making 10 gallon batches. So, yes. you can do 5 gal batches in one.

Sure! I've done anywhere from 5-12 gallon batches. Search for "keggles" and you will get all the info you need

Yeah you can def do it. Just be sure to check the integrity of the inside since you have been shoving tools into it. I would worry a little bit about deep scratches. Idk if there's any good way to smooth out inside scratches if there are any.

I have been using one for a few years and love it.
Two things that kind of suck.
1. 15 - 20 lbs of stainless steal take a bunch of extra heat to heat up.
2. Cooling... Same but in reverse.

When using keggles, keep in mind dead space when calculating your batch size. Other than that, if you are using a cooler for the MLT, I don't see any real issues with keggles and 5-12 gallon batches.

How much liquid that is left behind when you transfer to your fermentation vessel. Usually more common when using a valve and dip tube.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back