Old dandelion wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parfsten

Reaction score
Hi,
In a nook and cranny I discovered a half dozen bottles of dandelion wine I put up several years ago - my first (and only) attempt at it. The bottles have quite a bit of sediment but otherwise look clear. How long does dandelion wine keep? It's been stored in a dark area - think it is safe to taste??
Patricia

I keep seeing posts where people ask if their wines are safe to drink, why wouldnt it be safe to drink? If its not brown then you did a good job and be happy you were able to forget a few bottles to age. WVMJ

Hi,
In a nook and cranny I discovered a half dozen bottles of dandelion wine I put up several years ago - my first (and only) attempt at it. The bottles have quite a bit of sediment but otherwise look clear. How long does dandelion wine keep? It's been stored in a dark area - think it is safe to taste??
Patricia

Hi,
Patricia

Sounds like your having a good day then. Let us know how it aged.

Dandelion doesn't age well. At least, in my experience that is. I opened a bottle of 2007 dandelion about a year ago, and it was lifeless and flavorless compared to how it was in 2009 or so.

It won't spoil, it just might not taste as good as it once was if it's too aged.

I guess we were wrong again and it wasnt safe! We seem to loose a lot of members like this:) WVMJ

Ours is aging well, we used light spring honey and a lot of petals and added some optiwhite and a little bit of tannins and I think that has helped it out vs just a straight up dandelion wine without honey or tannins. I think the goal of dandelion wine though is usually to be drinking it the next spring when the new crop of dadelions show up to celebrate springtime:) WVMJ

From what I've read, dandelion wine peaks at one year. Hence the drinking to celebrate the next spring.

Hi,
In a nook and cranny I discovered a half dozen bottles of dandelion wine I put up several years ago - my first (and only) attempt at it. Patricia

I'm happy to report that we all survived tasting this old batch of dandelion wine. It smells so good... but does have a slight bitter back bite... guess it got a little cranky having to wait so long!

Thanks for the replies.

Did you use a kit or did you use real Dandelions ??? Mom made some Dandelion wine back when she was in Norway and picked the silly things herself. this was about 1985. She made about 12 bottles. We have opened several over the years and it just keeps getting better. I can only describe it as Ambrosia,,, like a wine straight from heaven,!! It is hard to wait but I know it will only get better so sometimes Dandelion wine can mature and get better with age,,,

Hi,
Patricia
I've Got a few bottles that i bottled in 12/08 that taste fantastic still. Just Sayin'

Latest posts

Back