Old Crushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
I got some really old crushed grain, I think 2 Row about 3 lbs worth sealed in a bag, from a friend. It is literally years old. I know it’s lost and all that, but my question is what does old grain do or don’t? What is the harm in using older grain? Stale flavor, or the like? Are there any circumstances that it can still be used for some purpose? I hate throwing away ingredients.

First you need to test the grain. Open the bag slowly and stick your nose into the opening and sniff. Smell like stale crackers or just like grain. If it smells like grain, take a small amount and put it in your mouth. Does it taste stale? If not, brew with it. Otherwise, feed it to the squirrels and rabbits. It's only 3 pounds.

I got some really old crushed grain, I think 2 Row about 3 lbs worth sealed in a bag, from a friend. It is literally years old. I know it’s lost and all that, but my question is what does old grain do or don’t? What is the harm in using older grain? Stale flavor, or the like? Are there any circumstances that it can still be used for some purpose? I hate throwing away ingredients.

I think all the advice above is sound.
For a neat read, look at this link. This guy had 4 year old ingredients. Stored well, and i assume uncrushed grain.
What does 3# of 2 row cost? Maybe $6.00?
Might not be worth it- just toss 'em.

But as mentioned above- if they pass the smell test, maybe you add 'em in to a full batch? Are they for steeping in an extract batch? Or are you all grain?
If you have access to a lhbs i would say don't risk it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/old-yeast.677038/#post-8829467

Take a quarter pound, mash it, see if it converts. Boil what you made and use it for a starter. See what happens.

Really, how old do you think this is?

It was in a kit he had that expired in 2015 lol

But I’ve never used old grain and just thought well maybe it’s still okay sense it is sealed.

I planned to steep (or a small mash I guess) it with some Vienna and flaked wheat and add in some Belgian candi syrup, honey, DME and LME to make a, dare I say triple, Belgian (bought the yeast for a triple). So I need a high OG. This might get me the points I need to get that extra %. It is all my left over stuff.

I did just make a batch of cream ale with 2 year old light LME (that was opened once before and refrigerated) and it turned out great. Just made a stout with 2 year out stuff too but all was sealed and refrigerated. Smelled good but won’t know for a month or so if it turned out.

Between getting married and moving and setting everything back up has aged some of my ingredients....after this it is all gone I swear, don’t shame me.

I’ll give it a whiff and nibble and see.

That LME that was opened and in the fridge, how much was in it? Interesting you used it and made good beer. Most people would expect it to be oxidized beyond hope especially being opened.

No reason to shame you Life gets real complicated sometimes.

I used about 3 pounds. Isnt oxidation only affect the hops? This was unhopped LME.

I think all the advice above is sound.
For a neat read, look at this link. This guy had 4 year old ingredients. Stored well, and i assume uncrushed grain.
What does 3# of 2 row cost? Maybe $6.00?
Might not be worth it- just toss 'em.

But as mentioned above- if they pass the smell test, maybe you add 'em in to a full batch? Are they for steeping in an extract batch? Or are you all grain?
If you have access to a lhbs i would say don't risk it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/old-yeast.677038/#post-8829467

Glad I'm not the only one thinking why risk a beer for $6....

Back