Old Commercial Bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
So I had lots of plans for brewing this summer that just didn't happen due to work, life, etc. I have l. Brevis and De Bom from wyeast both with a manufacturing date of mid August. I also have a bottle of Bug County that says Oct of 13 even though I got it around June I think. Are these guys still viable? Need starters? Add yeast at pitch and call it good? Any advice would be appreciated.

I also have a couple of two year old sours that I just bottled half, and racked half onto fruit. I put about a quarter of the Bug County into each to help get things going again. So far zero activity three days later, but just hoping they need some time to wake up.

Not surprising that you don't see much activity pitching into already aged/soured beer. What is the gravity?

I'd probably make a starter of the L. brevis, no risk since it is a pure culture. At a minimum I'd pitch extra brewer's yeast with the other two to ensure a reasonably quick start to fermentation. I'm sure some of bugs are alive, but which ones and how many are impossible to know from the date alone.

Not surprising that you don't see much activity pitching into already aged/soured beer. What is the gravity?
I figured the added sugar from the fruit would have kicked something up as far as Co2 or something.. Gravity on my Flanders red was 1.010, Sour Stout was 1.016.

I figured the added sugar from the fruit would have kicked something up as far as Co2 or something.. Gravity on my Flanders red was 1.010, Sour Stout was 1.016.

You'll likely see some slow activity with the fruit, but given the alcohol and pH, I wouldn’t be worried if it took a week (with or without the old yeast pitched).

You'll likely see some slow activity with the fruit, but given the alcohol and pH, I wouldn’t be worried if it took a week (with or without the old yeast pitched).

Like clockwork, a week later and a small pellicle is beginning to form and small amounts of Co2 out the airlock.

How long do you typically leave your fruited sours on the fruit?

Like clockwork, a week later and a small pellicle is beginning to form and small amounts of Co2 out the airlock.

How long do you typically leave your fruited sours on the fruit?

6-8 weeks. Gravity being stable is required. Longer doesn't hurt, but the fruit flavor will begin fading slowly.

6-8 weeks. Gravity being stable is required. Longer doesn't hurt, but the fruit flavor will begin fading slowly.

So, as far as gravity stability goes.. I racked on 1/9 onto the fruit. My flanders red was at 1.011 at that time. I checked gravity today and it is again 1.011. So not sure what the fruit added or what secondary fermentation took away. My question is, how long should i wait to double check gravity before i consider it ready to bottle? Thanks for your help Mike as well as every one else!

Cheers!

So, as far as gravity stability goes.. I racked on 1/9 onto the fruit. My flanders red was at 1.011 at that time. I checked gravity today and it is again 1.011. So not sure what the fruit added or what secondary fermentation took away. My question is, how long should i wait to double check gravity before i consider it ready to bottle? Thanks for your help Mike as well as every one else!

Cheers!

I'd give it a month to be sure.

Back