old chub or claymore clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nylar

Reaction score
i was wondering if any one has an old chub or claymore clone they would be willing to share.

thanks

i was thinking the same im probly going to cut that down and soak some oak cubes in a scotch maybe laphroig 10 . just to cut down on the peated malt. but still a peat taste... and a slight oak taste

damn, been looking for the claymore as well... looks like that one is gone form hopville. :/

I've never had old chub, how's it compare to the claymore?

I'm drinking the Claymore right now. Had Chub last week. I may have to go buy some more of the Oskar Blues version - because in my memory they are not very similar. I'd almost say that Claymore is too hoppy to fit in style (like I'm an expert), whereas Chub is hoppier than most other Wee Heavy's I've had - but is still primarily malt driven.

I also do not detect the light smoke flavor in Claymore that I like so much in Chub.

Chub has a slightly higher alcohol content and a fuller mouthfeel than Claymore. I can't find OG's or FG's for either so I can't speak authoritatively - but I feel like Chub has slightly more residual sweetness than Claymore.

All that said - I'm loving the Claymore - just not quite as much as Old Chub.

Brew Your Own had the Old Chub recipe in it this month

13lb 10oz American 2-row
18oz English dark crystal malt
12oz Munich malt 10L
3.5oz English chocolate malt
6oz Special B
4.5oz smoked malt
.8oz Nugget 60 min

1056,WLP001, or US05

Mash @155
90 min boil

Ferment @69

I'll revive this thread, I am looking for a beer right in line with claymore. I already reached out to great divide but they were no help. Anyone done research on this or is it my turn?

Back