Old carboys need cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaypapers

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently got some stuff on Craigslist, which included 3 glass carboys. They were in a barn and hadn't been used in a while and needed a good deep cleaning. I have cleaned one and it came out spotless but the other two have what appear to be water lines near the top that is difficult to scrub, I was working on one spot for about an hour with the carboy brush. Also there is a faint stain around what would be the two gallon mark on one as well. Would oxy clean work on this or is it going to have to be a severe arm workout to get these out or is it possible they are just stains and essentially harmless?

try oxy cleazn and just leave it over night.. or powder brewery wash would work forsure.. but oxy clean is will most likely work.. use 1 or 2 scoops

1/2 scoop of oxyclean and fill with water leave over night then scrub. If that doesn't work try 1 cup bleach and fill with water.

Oxy....plus a Carboy Cleaner brush system might work well.

I used them on carboys that sat in long storage with good results.

You can also use Comet or Ajax. It is a fine but gritty powdered bleach cleaner that you just mix with a bit of water.

go buy a product called THE WORKS...squirt it in and roll the carboy so it contacts the grungy areas.. it works fast.. it is an acid cleaner so you HAVE TO RINSE IT LIKE CRAZY!!!... I have used it on some extremely scaled up carboys and they look brand new. I have also made a bunch of beer in the carboys with zero issues...remember YOU HAVE TO RINSE IT LIKE CRAZY.

Yes, I think so too. It's probably a water hardness issue. Oxy, PBR and bleach are all bases.. You likely need a mild acid like muriatic, or CLR or similar to cut thru the hardness. Vinegar might work.. but, usually it takes a long time to dissolve it.

Ok. That's kinda what I thought. I had tried bleach earlier and I wasn't getting anywhere, and it looked like a hard water stain that I get on my shower walls, but I wasn't sure. I'll try that. Thanks a bunch!

Back