Old Beer...really old beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxsman

Reaction score
I was brewing beer 10 years ago when one day I just stopped. Long story, but I had brewed two barley wines and transferred them into glass carboys. They have been sitting with no airlocks since 2004...just foil over the tops.
So is there any chance at all the beer is worth bottling in or should I just dump them out and start over.
The good news is I am ready to start brewing again and I have located all my old supplies. Thanks for your help.
David

you would want to add some new yeast if you do bottle this. The beer is likely going to either be spectacularly good or spectacularly **** after that amount of time. I hope its still good :mug:

I'm with everyone else. It was covered so why wouldn't it be good.

In fact, if you brewed a good batch with proper sanitation, it may the best freaking barley wine ever.

Am I the only one that REALLY wants to try this?

No way, I would love to give some a go! Ive got a batch in bottles that I brewed as the first brew after I got married which we will crack on each anniversary, birthday etc and will last us 6 years. Looking forward to seeing how it ages. Waiting for the first anniversary on december 18. Its a 10% whisky oaked stout btw.

It will be a week or so until I can give it a go. I gave it a smell test today and can report it had a very strong wine smell. I will definitely give it a taste :drunk: and follow up with a report. I was under the impression if done “correctly” you can only properly brew one barley wine in a lifetime. I have heard some people ferment there barley wines for up to 75 years. Anyways it been quite some time since I was brewing beer and I am quite excited to find I took care of everything and even kept it all together. The only item I can not find is the old wart chiller. Does any one have any good recommendations on a product that will clean and sanitize the glass carboys once the beer is removed? Thanks for all the positive quick responses.

Wow, it's like when they find beer at the bottom of a sunken ship. I'd try it. As for oxidation, since CO2 is heavier than O2, isn't it a reasonable assumption to think that a blanket of CO2 would protect it as long as it wasn't moved?

Wow, it's like when they find beer at the bottom of a sunken ship. I'd try it. As for oxidation, since CO2 is heavier than O2, isn't it a reasonable assumption to think that a blanket of CO2 would protect it as long as it wasn't moved?
No. Since there was no airlock the air would diffuse in and the CO2 would diffuse out.

Wow, how does one just 'find' carboys full of unbottled beer in their house?! I have been brewing for nearly 10 years and this never happens to me!

Regardless, I'm a bit jealous. I would imagine that as long as the foil hasn't been breached, it would be pretty good! You have got to bottle it up and try it...

If they didn't have an airlock on top of them for seven years, there's no way those beers will taste good at this point.

But they will probably teach what flavors to look for in heavily oxidized beer, so it could be informative to taste them.

same here only mine is bottled..setting in the basement out of sight out of mind.

Ive got one i put away from my regular stock and made it kinda pain in the ass to get to ive got plans for father son first beer for that batch

Ive got one i put away from my regular stock and made it kinda pain in the ass to get to ive got plans for father son first beer for that batch

Wow, a barleywine for a first beer? That's an ambitious start. Hope he likes it, and that he can find anything afterwards that lives up to that first taste. . .

Wow, a barleywine for a first beer? That's an ambitious start. Hope he likes it, and that he can find anything afterwards that lives up to that first taste. . .

yea i never learn my lesson on that one. i gave some friends who only drink budwiser some big heavy stouts it didnt go well.

Well the verdict on the beer is not so good. It had started to cider and had a watery taste as well. I ended up watering the garden with the beer. The good news is I have the fever and have already made some new batches as well as a gallon of cider. So live and learn. I am sure I will have plenty of questions as I move forward in my renewed hobby.

Back