Old beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zain

Reaction score
I have an old beer kit that I got about a year ago. I'm assuming that it is too old to use but thought I'd ask before I tossed it. Any thoughts?

There should be a date (best before) on the malted, hopped extract tin. The Coopers ones I buy are all dated 2010. Check it out should be still good

The worse that's gonna happen is it doesn't ferment out all the way afaik. Why not oust go for it and see.

I tried brewing a kit that was 5 years old.

Opened up the can and it smelled and was as slow as molasses.

Let's just say I threw it out

Go for it. I had 2 pretty good beers from kits that were old I got from a friend when I started brewing. One was drinkable, and the other was fantastic. You may need new yeast though

When I picked up some of my used equipment, I got three beer kits that were 9 years old. I posted the same question here and got a few mixed replies, but most said go for it except you obviously need new yeats.

So I actually started one of these 9 year old kits just this last Friday (with new yeast). I a newb so perhaps I didn't know better, but it really didn't look or smell any different than the first batch I made which was still within its expiry.

Obviously the taste test in a few weeks will be the final test - I'll post my results at that time.

Back