Old Banyan Tree Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kainoa

Reaction score
40-old-banyan-tree-brown-ale.jpg

41-old-banyan-tree-brown-ale.jpg

This label was inspired by a massive old banyan tree where my brothers and I used to drink under in high school. The first night i got wasted started under that tree.

Though still a little cloudy, the beer came out great. About to bottle my stout next, look for those labels soon.

Aloha

wow! Fantastic labels man. Those are almost too nice to drink :D If I was pumping out bottles that beautiful I would have to put some on a shelf for keeps :)

(wow, I just called your beer beautiful. I dont remember the last time I even called my wife that lol)

Thanks. I used the same Avery re-positionable labels i used for my last batch.

I bought some Avery labels from office max. They work out pretty good but a word of advice...calibrate your printer before printing them! I ended up having a sheet that was off a little and some of the labels had white lines.

True, I don't know how to calibrate the positioning but i've gotten lucky with most of them. Some do have the white lines (like the one in the pic), and some have a sliver of the adjacent label - but they don't bother me too much. I think the convenience of not having to cut them out manually outweighs it.

I love your labels! Mine lack consistency and yours are always spot on and sharp.

Good work!

If using the Avery software, you can go to File->Calibrate Printer. It will print out a sheet with lines on it, and you fold the sheet in half so that the edges of the paper meet. When you unfold the sheet there will be a crease going across the grid. You take that number and enter it into the menu screen and do it twice, once for horizontal and once for vertical. I kept printing them out until they eventually started printing correctly. Also, it helps to print the label sheets one at a time with no other paper in the feed. I noticed that when I had more than one paper sometimes it would feed a little bit off.

Kainoa,
Howzit! I'm on Hilo side and been lurking here a bit.
Was wondering if that Banyan Tree is Old Hilo Airport?
One of the oldest drinking spot in Hilo....good memories!
Aloha,
Honolii

Howzit Honolii, that's exactly the banyan i'm talking about. I'm from Hilo (Waiakea 95), but live on Oahu now. I was there a couple weeks back and drove past Old A's and realized that the tree is even bigger than i remember. Good memories indeed. Are you from Hilo too?

BTW, where do you get your supplies in Hilo? When i searched around there was only one place downtown (old Mong Chun Lau restaurant). It was raining (as usual) and they didn't look like that had too much stuff so i didnt bother going in.

Aloha

Sup, sup!!
Yup! Old A's! Even before way back when I was in high school too, Waiakea '82.
Good to see another FBI here. Just got back into brewing, used to brew when I lived in Calif. after high school. Moved back here 10 years ago and loving it! Except hard to find variety of craft beer, so I started back into this. Only doing extract and mini-mash, as waiting until I get a house.
Supplies came from that place, Hilo Party Supply, old Mong Cheolg Lau! Actually, go in next time, they do have quyite a bit of stuff, grains, hops, etc. Always getting new supplies. You can't see form the outside, there is a seperate room dedicated to homebrewing in there. I was laughing because when I went in there the first time because I was thinking how it used to be Mung Cheong Lau, and it must have been where the kitchen used to be. I was al ready to order, "Number 2 plate!!".
The brewmaster there, old guy, Russ or Roy, is very knowledgeable and loves to talk story and share a lot. He used to run the brew club on Oahu for years until he moved here. Prices are very reasonable. Like I said, go in, you'll be surprised. You can only see the party supply stuff from the outside.
By the way, love your labels. Looks very professional. You did graphics before?
I'm just playing around making different looks as it's been awhile doiong graphics on the comp. I used to do graphic designing in Calif. after high school. Still finidng a style for the labels, but get sooo many ideas I just make anykine.
Shoots! Maybe hook up later and trade some.

Sounds good, i'll check it out next time i'm back home. I'm an architect, but do graphics as well. Your labels are awesome too. Do you still do graphics in Hilo?

Good on you! That was my original major when I went to school in the mainland, and then got sidetracked into graphic designing. No, I don't do it as a living here. I had tried to years ago, when I first moved back in the early 90's, but did not have the market here so off I went back to the mainland. The whole while trying to figure out what I could do to sustain myself here as I was over living the city life, Los Angeles areas. Went back to school and got my teaching degree in Special Education. I've been teaching SPED 10 years now. Love my job. My fiance' also teaches SPED at Waiakea High. She's actually the one who got me back into this whole thing as she kept hearing from me ranting about how I should just start brewing again as there were no good beer on tap around town. BAM! Come Christmas and she got me a nice size gift certificate from the brew place at Mung Cheong Lau. Kind of gave me a reason to get back and play around with some designing again also. So many ideas, I need to refine a lot. The first three I just came up with on the top of my head with very little refining. I just wanted to get something out there, get the creative juice flowing again. The next two batches are going to be for our wedding, kind of a a his-n-hers type of brew. Thinking of labeling and making the brew according to our personalities. Will be less wordy for sure, more graphic.
Eh, I one dark Filipino cause I surf everyday, and she one white haole, so shouldn't be too hard. Black n' Tan! Whatchoo think???? LOL!

Latest posts

Back