Oktoberfest's finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBell

Reaction score
I just sampled a Brewers Best Oktoberfest that I brewed three weeks ago. It is kegged and is acceptable in flavor; but not as good as Sam Adams Oktoberfest, such is life.

However the beer has a watery finish to it, much like what I've tasted of Guinness at local restaurants, and one of the reasons I don't care for BBC's (a local microbrew) products.

Would it be a logical assumption that this lack of body is due to either too much water being added, or that the grains weren't crushed sufficiently (or properly) to allow them to shine?

If you are drinking it after 3 weeks, you must have done it as an ale. This is fine, but will not taste like a true Oktoberfest since it is traditionally a lagered beer.

I can't really say why its watery. At what temperature are you serving it? If it is too cold, you really won't taste anything.

Also, what were your OG and FG? Was it all grain. If so, at what temperatures did you mash your grains? If you had decent efficiency, its probably not an issue with your system.

Thank you. It was an ale, and as a Brewers Best kit, therefore it was an extract kit. The keezer is sitting at 50 degrees right now. The kit said to steep the grains at 150, which I did. sg 1.053, fg was 1.011, a bit lower than their instructions gave.

I was fairly careful in measuring the water.

In my experience, extract beers just don't have the body of all-grain beers. Samuel Adams is not brewed from malt extract. This may be the difference you are tasting.

You could try adding Malto-Dextrine at bottling next time for more body.

Or you can cut back on 1/2 gallons of water. If you don't like the taste of your 5 1/2 to 5 gallons of beer, then losing 1/2 gallon won't be a big loss.

Jim -
I made the same one and sampled it at 2 weeks. About 3 hours later, 2 of us that had sampled it had an occasion to have a Bass Ale - and we both commented on the exactness of the flavor.

Bottling will happen this weekend, so around the middle of Oktober I'll give you a call and we can compare :B:
Larry (from your bottle sale)

My last BB kit also tasted watery after 4 weeks. It has been 6 and the watery flavor is gone. Not sure if bottle conditioning helps with this vs kegging, but maybe wait a few weeks and try it again?

Back