Oktoberfest with Safale K-97 Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
3.0 lbs. Munich LME
0.8 lb. Pilsen Extra Light DME
1.0 lb. Caravienne

60 min. - .50 oz. German Tradition
20 min. - .25 oz. German Tradition
FO - .25 oz. German Tradition

I'm mainly looking for a yeast that can ferment warmer and I want to stick to dry yeast as I've had really good results with it/ it's a lot cheaper. Will K-97 do the trick or should I go with a kolsch or steam beer yeast?

Any other advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

3.0 lbs. Munich LME
0.8 lb. Pilsen Extra Light DME
1.0 lb. Caravienne

60 min. - .50 oz. German Tradition
20 min. - .25 oz. German Tradition
FO - .25 oz. German Tradition

I'm mainly looking for a yeast that can ferment warmer and I want to stick to dry yeast as I've had really good results with it/ it's a lot cheaper. Will K-97 do the trick or should I go with a kolsch or steam beer yeast?

Any other advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

No one?

I am a very inexperienced brewer but I thought I would share my experience-based input. My second batch that I ever brewed was a Kolsch (with kolsch dry yeast). The beer turned out fantastic and since I am not sure which tastes yeast contributes to the beer, I assume the yeast was responsible for the "classic german style tones" my friend's dad described our beer as having. I think it came out slightly buttery due to the yeast

I am a very inexperienced brewer but I thought I would share my experience-based input. My second batch that I ever brewed was a Kolsch (with kolsch dry yeast). The beer turned out fantastic and since I am not sure which tastes yeast contributes to the beer, I assume the yeast was responsible for the "classic german style tones" my friend's dad described our beer as having. I think it came out slightly buttery due to the yeast

what yeast did you use for that Kolsch?

what yeast did you use for that Kolsch?

Now that I go back and check my log, I used "Sachet Dry Yeast" (that is all I have written down, brewing partner might remember better than me). In the end I came out with a very nice, light beer. I will say that it has an unpleasant bitter aftertaste, but all my beers have had this and it has gone away with a few more weeks of bottle conditioning.

Back