Oktoberfest w/ 2112 WYeast - Secondary and/or Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoturntables

Reaction score
I just brewed the Brewer's Best Oktoberfest kit using Wyeast 2112 instead of the yeast that comes with the kit (since I'll be fermenting a bit warmer @ 65 degrees).

I have an empty fridge at my disposal and would like to lager the brew.

My question is should I move it to the fridge right away once its in the secondary? Or should I keep it in the secondary at 65 degrees for a week or so and then put it in the fridge to lager? I guess I don't really understand the distinction between secondary fermentation and lagering in this case.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Link to BB instructions: (I'm not using their yeast)
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1028 German Octoberfest.pdf

Info for the 2112 Wyeast (from website):
This strain is particularly well suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers with woody/minty hop flavor. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

I think there are many definitions for a "secondary"... I work with this yeast quite a bit and I tend to keep it in the primary for 9 days or so at 64-66F, transfer it off the yeast cake and let it continue to ferment for another week or so at the same 64-66F temperature range (secondary), then transfer it to my fridge to lager at 37F for about a month.

To me, the "secondary" gives the yeast a last chance to clean up the beer a little bit and attenuate to their fullest. Taking the wort off the yeast cake allows for further clarity as there isn't any leftover trub from hop waste, ect. to swirl back into the beer. Lagering, in its definition, is the cold storage. Though lagering also helps with clarity, it really is just that - cold storage.

Back