Oktoberfest-style ale (partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alethechiller

Reaction score
- Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before & answered in a separate thread. However, I made an account solely to ask this because I've been searching for the better part of 2 weeks & have come up with no satisfactory results. -

Greetings all,

In an effort to get better acquainted with homebrewing, my father & I have decided to brew once a week throughout September. The first Tuesday was a batch of a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA clone. The second brew day, though, is proving to be a bit of a challenge recipe wise. Our goal is an Oktoberfest-style ale (as we lack lagering facilities), and while there are numerous recipes floating around for such a thing, we're also going partial mash on this and in all my searches, I haven't found much of anything in regard to a partial mash Oktoberfest-style ale and that is why I turn to you kind folks.

In my research, I wound up finding a kit that had a relatively easy sounding recipe but, after an Oktoberfest style-ale that didn't turn out 2 years ago, I wanna make sure that what we're going for is accurate, and furthermore, that it even sounds good. So, enough rambling, here's the recipe for a 5 gallon batch:

3 lbs Munich II
3 lbs Light DME
1 lb American 2-row
1 lb Vienna
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Caramunich III

1 oz Hallertau @ 60 mins
1 oz Tettnang @ 60 mins
.5 oz Hallertau @ 25 mins
.5 oz Hallertau @ 5 mins

Wyeast 1338 - European Ale

Any tips or comments are welcome. As I said, I haven't found much of anything besides this as far as partial mash Oktoberfest-style ales go, so I'm open to suggestions. I really wanna nail this down, as my last Oktoberfest-style ale was a pretty massive failure and that took quite a bit of wind out of my brewing-sails and I would very much like to avoid such a feeling again, so fire away with any sorts of pointers or other ideas for me.

Cheers,
Al

Latest posts

Back