Oktoberfest recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMace

Reaction score
I've never brewed a lager before, so I figured why not shoot for September/October. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of confirmation that this will work out as a malt extract lager recipe. Thanks

7 lbs. Amber DME
1/2 lb. Crystal
2 oz noble for bittering
2 oz noble for finishing
dried orange peel
lager yeast

I brew this the same way as I would an ale, but after I pitch the lager yeast, I just keep it in my downstairs fridge at the lagering temp for the next 5 or 6 months... correct? Any suggestions, tips, or changes? Thanks again for the help everyone.:mug:

Save the orange peel for a Belgian beer. Get rid of it. For extract brewing of an Oktoberfest try to find some Munich malt extract if possible. Otherwise I would use light DME and add some German or Belgian Cara malt like CaraVienna or CaraMunich for color. Delete or at least seriously reduce the finishing hops. An Oktoberfest is malt emphasized and has very light or no late hops. Five or six months of lagering seems a bit much. If you go with 10-14 days each of primary and secondary followed by 3-4 weeks of lagering you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back