ok to shake a keg a day before serving to even out spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
I brewed a Pumpkin Ale a while back. When I moved from the fermenter into the keg, I hardly got any of the pumpkin spice, so I threw in a little more pumpkin spice into the fermenter just before I transferred to the keg. I am a little worried that its not all fully mixed in the keg.

The keg has been on CO2 for a couple weeks and I just pulled the first couple glasses. It seems to taste ok, although I wonder if some of the spice has settled down to the bottom where I'm drinking from.

I was wondering if it'd be ok to tip the keg over a couple time to just make sure whatever is in there is evenly distributed.

You can, but you might get cloudy beer from shaking up anything that as settled. Granted it would settle again in a few days. If it was me, and it tasted ok, I wouldn't do anything but drink it as it is now ☺

When do you add your spices? i have tried a few ways and finally settled on a 10 minute addition like aroma hops. IMHO if you don't like the spice level, leave this batch alone and push up your spice bill next time. Also, FWIW, I have found that most of the flavor I attribute to pumpkin is the ginger. Therefore I do 1 tsp of each "pumpkin" spice except 2 of ginger.

Sorry for the delay....I ended up adding the pumpkin pie spice late in the boil (in addition to the small amount I threw into the fermenter just before kegging).

I didn't end up shaking the keg, since I had people coming over soon. Now that all that is done and I still have a little left, it probably doesn't matter too much.

Latest posts

Back