OK to degas after adding stabilizing and clearing agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
The kit instructions said to degas first after racking from primary, which I did attempt until I was tired. Then I added the chemicals. Then later I thought I had better do a better job, so got a drill-mountable stirrer from a friend and degassed the hell out of it. (it seemed to still never give up all the bubbles, though--but I see after doing some perusing that many people experience that).

Any issue with mixing the hell out of wine after adding the stabilizing/clearing agents? The two were about 20 hours apart if that matters.

It should have been k- meta and k- sorbate to stabilize. So yes, just be careful because there may still be some in suspension.
If it was me, I'd add it a little shy and bulk age for a bit. Mind you, I am still at amatuer level in this game.

It should have been k- meta and k- sorbate to stabilize. So yes, just be careful because there may still be some in suspension.
If it was me, I'd add it a little shy and bulk age for a bit. Mind you, I am still at amatuer level in this game.

Ok, cool. The packets and instructions only said "Sulfite" and "Sorbate".

I really did stir it a lot. Bubbles just never stopped coming. I'll do my best to estimate how much K-meta was in the packet and stir it in. Suppose I'll also degas some more first. Seems like it can't hurt at this point.

If its a gallon batch get some campden tablets and use one. If its a 5-6 gallon batch get k-meta powder and use 1/4tsp. That should put you in the ball park.
Also, the point of the sulfite it to protect the brew from O2. Degassing removes Co2 from it allowing O2 in. Wait till you have the sufite to degas.

Last edited:
If its a gallon batch get some campden tablets and use one. If its a 5-6 gallon batch get k-meta powder and use 1/4tsp. That should put you in the ball park.
Also, the point of the sulfite it to protect the brew from O2. Degassing removes Co2 from it allowing O2 in. Wait till you have the sufite to degas.

I've got K-meta on hand, so degassed again last night and added in the amount that originally came with the kit. I thought I'd have to estimate but saw it was 3.6g.

Thanks, all.

Latest posts

Back