Ok! This one's bugging me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwarn3

Reaction score
I have brewed a Russian Imperial Stout 2 weeks ago, and I brewed just a basic IPA last week! Question is on 2nd fermentation! Do I move it/them over to a carboy? Do I leave them in the primary and go straight to the bottle? I know the RIS is a really big beer & could be left in the primary for quite some time!

It's a matter of preference really. You can have clear beer by leaving it in primary for a month. Most people say these days that secondary is not needed.

two weeks should be good you will still have fermentation in secondary. just be careful with leaving your beer in a plastic container too long.

two weeks should be good you will still have fermentation in secondary. just be careful with leaving your beer in a plastic container too long.

Fermentation should be completed before racking to secondary.

i4ourgot said:

Got it! Since I am fairly new, what are the issues with leaving it in plastic too long! And I have to admit, even though a newbie, I kinda wondered about that from the start....Thanks!

I do not secondary IPAs. I leave them in primary at least three weeks and bottle.

I have only had time to finish one Russian Imperial Stout and start on the second. I transfer to secondary and let it bulk age for six months before bottling. Brew in January and share with family and friends for th holidays.

Got it! Since I am fairly new, what are the issues with leaving it in plastic too long! And I have to admit, even though a newbie, I kinda wondered about that from the start....Thanks!

Plastic is permeable so over time oxygen can get to your beer and stale it. If you are going to age for an extended time (like longer than a month or two) then you should invest in a glass carboy. That RIS would benefit from a few months of bulk conditioning!

TANSTAAFB said:
Plastic is permeable so over time oxygen can get to your beer and stale it. If you are going to age for an extended time (like longer than a month or two) then you should invest in a glass carboy. That RIS would benefit from a few months of bulk conditioning!

Thanks! That answers my biggest question! This RIS will get transferred to my glass carboy this weekend........then we'll let time do its thing! Gonna let it simmer for several months, in hopes of breaking it out and enjoying it for my brothers 40th birthday/and the holidays in December!

Cheers!

Plastic fermenters aren't all that o2 permiable. I've had beers in them for a couple months with no oxygenation or other ill effects. So in my experiences,it diesn't happen very fast if at all. contrary to all these "scientific" findings. but if you're going to age for 6-8 months or more,then glass is def benificial. I even spoke to the head brew tech at Cooper's about this & he said even their PET bottles are good for up to 8 months in terms of o2 leaching. But he did also say that their PET bottles have a nylon coating inside to combat this. Otherwise,fermenters are about the same in terms of the plastic. A month or two,fine. Long term,no.

Latest posts

Back