Ok, so I know RDWHAHB...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomrenault

Reaction score
...but I made a partial extract Marzen Recipe last week that called for 1 lbs of Caramel 150 and 1 cup of chocolate malt. Which I cooked at 150-160 for 60 minutes. When I was done with the grain I strained it out of the wort, and added my extract. However, when I strained the wort into the fermenter after the boil, there were a couple ounces of grain which came out in addition to the hops, and I'm worried that these grains will give the beer a burnt flavor...

You'll be fine. A small amount of grain in the boil isn't going to make a difference. The only time you have to worry about grain burning is when you have a large amount being heated without stirring

...but I made a partial extract Marzen Recipe last week that called for 1 lbs of Caramel 150 and 1 cup of chocolate malt. Which I cooked at 150-160 for 60 minutes. When I was done with the grain I strained it out of the wort, and added my extract. However, when I strained the wort into the fermenter after the boil, there were a couple ounces of grain which came out in addition to the hops, and I'm worried that these grains will give the beer a burnt flavor...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When you say you cooked it for 60 minutes you mean that's how long you steeped it? Thats longer than most would steep and more consistent with a mash but you didn't have any base malt so I would cut that down to 20 minutes or so next time. If you used a gain bag you shouldn't have gotten any grain in your wort, trub yes, grain no. But a small amount isn't going to hurt anything.

I'm confused by your recipe though. A lbs of 150 plus a cup of chocolate then a long extract boil sounds like it is going to be very dark for a marzen. In fact I would say that is definitely not a marzen since for the style "Color should be golden to orange-amber with a color range of 7-14 SRM". You're going to end up with something closer to a Porter. It will be beer though and quite possibly good beer, and that's what counts.

I followed the recipe from Complete art of Homebrewing (which didn't specify the color of the caramel grain) and didn't realize how much darkness I was adding. If I make it again--which I probably will, since it seems to be turning out to be my best so far, I'll probably experiment with the color of the caramel grain. It definitely doesn't look like a marzen, it's a dark brown, translucent beer. However so far it's tasting pretty great. also I used one of those strainers which sit in the boiling pot to hold the grain, since I didn't have a grain bag, and didn't want to wait for another one to ship.

Just for future reference, you did not do a "partial extract" batch. You did an "extract with steeping grains." There is such a thing as a partial mash, but as brewit2it stated above, there is no base malt in this recipe. You got all of your fermentables from the extract. The grain you used was for color and flavor. A partial mash is when you actually do get a small amount of fermentables from mashing some base malt (such as 2-row) and getting the rest from malt extract. There is not much difference, but using the correct terms can get your questions answered correctly faster and easier. There is so much knowledge on here, keep asking!!

Back