OK I did something really wrong with this heatstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jkarp,

Using ohm's law and incorrect variables is suspect to begin with. V=I*R

Basic EM from 200 level physics covers that whole thing about equal potential across a conductor. Granted the wiring is not an ideal conductor, but it's resistance is low enough in comparison to the load points in the circuit that it can be assumed to be negligible (<Z/10^3). By definition dV when traveling along any continuous path inside the conductor is 0 (this is assuming the absence of an external E or B of significance, a valid assumption in your kitchen). Since the neutral and ground are bonded by conductors without significant resistance, they form one continuous conductor. So you are left with V=0. Applying Ohm's law, I=0 for the path through the body.

If there is significant resistance between the neutral and ground (0 V), then significant current could be carried through the body, but this is a case of a faulty ground.

Don't believe me? Stick the probes of your multimeter in the neutral socket and ground socket of a 3-prong receptacle in a duplex receptacle. Plug your toaster into the other receptacle and turn it on. Set your multimeter to 200 VAC. You'll see 0. That's because they're at the same potential. You could even plug in a light between these two points. It won't light up cause there's no EMF, and therefore no I. Because the duplex receptacle is tied together it's exactly equivalent to the situation with the heat stick.

So where's the current going? Back through the 0 resistance paths, but effectively nowhere. Doesn't matter as long as it's at 0 potential relative to ground (that's why they call it ground...).

... PLEASE make sure you're using them in GFCI outlets.

True.

"Both the ground and neutral are bonded so BOTH are now providing the return current path. There *IS* no ground, in other words. If you were to touch the pipe (or kettle touching pipe) and a ground while the heatstick is in operation, YOU become an additional current path."

This only works if there is a potential difference between the pipe and ground. If there is no load between (Z = R ->0+) the hot lead and ground, then I = V/0 -> +infinity. This creates an overcurrent that will trip the breaker. When this happens and contact is made with the pipe the body acts as a resistor in parallel. In this case Zeq = Z1*Z2/(Z1+Z2) for a purely resistive load, Z=R. Setting Z1 = 1500 and Z-> 0 then solving, the limit becomes 0. Looking at this another way, and assuming 30A circuit protection that has not tripped, V = I*Z and since we're dealing with resistive loads Z = R, then V = I*R. Again, Z1 = 1500 and Z2 -> 0. V is the same for both paths (they begin at the same point and terminate at the same point in terms of potential). Therefore, V1 = V2 = V -> 0. The point rule indicates that the sum of the currents at the branch point must equal 0, so 30A = I1 +I2, and the ratio of the branch currents is equal to the ratio of their reciprocal resistances, I1/I2 = Z2/Z1. Now that you have 2 equations and 2 unknowns pick you favorite method for solving them and come up with I1 = 0A and I2 = 30A. Again, the real world doesn't behave as an ideal system, but the assumptions are valid when your threshold is 0.1A and the resistance in the ground wire is greater than three orders of magnitude less than that of the body. The great thing about this relationship is that since the potential between where the brewer contacts the circuit and ground is the same as that for the ground fault path if the ground is properly installed. Therefore it holds for any value of V. This is why birds and squirrels can contact high voltage transmission lines without becoming flash BBQ'd.

If the person in question were to touch the hot leg prior to the element without the hot leg being offered a low resistance path to ground then there is a problem and your example becomes valid. Similarly, if there is no ground and the person becomes the only path across which there is a dV to ground (touches a hot lead in an open circuit) then they becomes that path and suffer for it. However, these are not pertinent to your case wherein the circuit is properly grounded and the person contacts the neutral line or the hot line comes in contact with the properly grounded tube.

In reference to that article, it's from the interweb. Didn't you just put down someone for a Wikipedia ref? Also, if you read that article that you provided the danger is when the person becomes the path to ground, which happens when connecting or disconnecting the normally designed path to ground. Again, dV along the path is required, and if the ground were still connected the person and the ground would be at the same potential.

One last thing to think about. If there were an electrocution risk from touching a properly installed ground, why would all the metal cases be grounded and uninsulated?. Shouldn't my March pump have a protective insulator that prevents the metal body, which is grounded, from possibly coming in contact with me (including the mounting screws and anything they touch)?

I think I received a near fatal shock from trying to figure out what the hell all of you are saying. Obviously I have no business messing around with this stuff. =p

And you people wonder why I won't talk about electricity here. Question answered.

-

Well, I've been using heat sticks for 6 months. Now I'm having a freak out. And just the other day one of mine failed, popping the GFCI. I"m guessing because I over thinned the JB Weld to pour it into the J bend.

I might switch to mounting in the keggle. Regardless, I plug my heat sticks into a switched GFCI and never touch anything unless that switch is off... although, of course I wind up doing it sometimes when adding hops and what not. Yikes.

The thing about keggle mounting to me is that I don't want to be dumping a keggle I'm cleaning with cords hanging off it... and I'd need at least two elements as I don't have a 220 GFCI circuit.

Latest posts

Back