OK beer is in my basement for a week, tried one, taste good BUT NO CARB!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPacker69

Reaction score
What do you guys think? My bottled steam beer has been in the basement for a week now and I tried one and the carbonation was non existent. The basement does get below 60 at night (the whole house does), so I was thinking maybe it was too cold. But the basement is the most consistent temperature. Should I just wait it out or move to somewhere warmer?

One week is not long enough, 3 weeks at 70 minimum! My house never gets about 64 so I wait 4 weeks and some times 5 for beers to carb-up. The higher the gravity the longer it will take and if it is cooler it will add time. So give 2 or 3 weeks at least.

Yep, get it into a warmer place. 70* is ideal

I completely agree. I condition mine in a dark closet upstairs where the temp is pretty regularly 70. I get regular carbonation within 7-10 days every time. Good luck!

So my house is all heated by wooden stove, so at night the whole house drops below 60. But the basement is most consistent. Should I just keep in the basement, where it has already been for a week, and keep it there for another couple weeks? Or should I move it upstairs where it gets hotter during the day but still drops below 60 at night?

Back