oh what hops to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyhole

Reaction score
I've got a super soon to be father in law that has taken up an interest in growing hops to supply my homebrew operation. Last year he got some rhizomes and turned them in to nice tall vines. The varieties he's growing are cascade, zeus, nugget, and centennial. Yielded a few oz last year, and this year promises to be excellent (if the weather cooperates). He is near Dayton, OH.

He tells me he has an extra row for another variety. So now I am faced with the dilemma of what to chose to best integrate with the other varieties (or not). As you can see, the current selection is full of high alpha acid varieties/bittering hops, with the Cascade helping in the flavor/aroma category.

Any suggestions? I don't know if there is an obvious one, but I would probably go with Willamette or Goldings or Fuggle (though the latter is low yielding).

I brew ales - IPAs, American and English Pale Ales/bitters, scotch ale, stouts etc. and looking to brew some belgians, weisse, probably some milds/brown ales. I haven't brewed an lagers and can't really lager properly yet, so should I rule out trying saaz or hallertauer or tettnanger? Or could those probably be used in German/Belgian Ales?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Given what he already has planted and what you like to brew, I'd go with the Goldings. I use Goldings alot - one of my favorite.

I also like Hallertau or Spalter, for flavor/aroma hops.

Goldings preformed very poorly for me in the GA heat.... I dunno how hot your summers are but I thought I would throw that out. I would recommend Willamette or Fuggles.

If you can get Amarillo rhizomes please let me know how... since they are basically copy written (not sure the proper terminology).

he's getting the rhizomes from freshops, so no amarillo. i have used willamette a few times, so maybe that's the winner. goldings is temping though, but I don't know if it would produce the hop flavor I want in my APAs.

Back