Oh applejack, how i love thee!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILTIT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mmm mmmm tasty!

20161120_171132.jpg

I just racked 7 gallons of Pappy's to secondary, fg of 1.023. Three half filled 1qt bottles went into the freezer too!

Well maybe not fg yet I guess. We will see it has been 34 days now. I will probably put another gallon in the freezer next month. First I am gonna give it some cinnamon.

Not at all, right from the bottles of the 3rd thaw cycle. This batch is pretty sweet, may have to dilute a little when drinking.

Fg of 1020 before concentrating, next time i am going to shoot for 1010.

It sure has a nice color though!

As time passes the apparent sweetness fades and becomes a silky-sort-of viscous-ness that coats the tongue with apple goodness.I bottle almost all of my applejack into 12 oz or smaller bottles; after aging in the bottle for many months the rate of oxidation after opening is very fast. If you put the a/j back in the freezer after opening, it will almost stop the oxidation process. Even if you put the a/j in the fridge with a cap on it, after a few days the flavor will will to become more like a tawny port. Another way to tell is, if your a/j was crystal clear when bottled, you will start to see a thin layer of a powdery light colored "dust" at the bottom of the bottle. I realize using small bottles are a pain labor-wise, but if you only want a couple of shots to end the day with or share with a couple of friends, trying to keep a quart fresh tasting is almost impossible.
EDIT: I strongly suggest to anyone making applejack that it be bottled and capped cold, like ice cold or just out of the freezer cold. As it warms from very cold to room temperature or so during bottle conditioning, the tiny bit of pressure created by the pressure change helps to keep the contents fresh. I do not want to add chemicals to my bottles to prevent oxidation during aging, and over the last three-plus years I have been making a/j, I have never had a bottle go "bad" during aging.

Although i doubt any will last longer than the christmas holidays.

I might be taking back the comment about it being too sweet. Just tasted some tonight and i think with a little time it will be very balanced.

Mindenman-have you ever carb'd or tasted a carb'd applejack? I would think only very lightly would be required.

It would disrupt the mouth feel of applejack but could be a unique feel in its own.

I may try this when i get a keg setup.

Wow. Great info. Thanks.
Do you bottle with crown caps or screw caps?

I haven't had any that was carbed, but it might be a unique experiment. I am also in process of making ice cider and I am thinking I might let one bottle of it slightly carbonate.

****NEWS FLASH*** A little over a year ago my buddy and his wife had a new baby. I started a batch of applejack to be bottled on the day of her birth...it was bottled that week, anyway I pulled it out of the closet today and we all had a taste. Amazing is an understatement; I cannot express enough how critical to good flavor aging in the bottle is.

Sometime between now and the first of the year my brewing partner and I are going to get our hands on some "regular" store bought ice cider. I have tried applejack made by a local brewer and it is very good but different from ours; he uses sugar to fortify and we use only FAJC so the acid balance is very different. Apparently there is carbonated ice cider as well, so Christmas is going to be excellent!!

****NEWS FLASH*** A little over a year ago my buddy and his wife had a new baby. I started a batch of applejack to be bottled on the day of her birth...it was bottled that week, anyway I pulled it out of the closet today and we all had a taste. Amazing is an understatement; I cannot express enough how critical to good flavor aging in the bottle is.

Very cool! Glad to hear it. what sized bottles?

Last night we tried a sample of jack from my Super Cyser, all I can say is wow!!!!!
The Super Cyser came out strong and sweet, almost sickly so. But the jack is amazing. I will probably freeze it all, we have a whole corny full.

So I will sing along with ya, Oh applejack, how I love thee!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never tasted a "port", any way to explain how it tastes?

I have recently found out our local brewing club (and brew sales company) makes alot of mead, just for friends and special occasions etc.

I am trying to get in on this and see if i can start making some Honeyjack!

I may trade some of my applejack for a sample of this mead so i can decide if i want to follow this route. From what they say and what i have read, mead takes along time to make so its not for the impatient (me).

Waiting for my jack to age a little first, it gets better everyday but these people have been brewing beer and mead for years so i want to have something decent for them to try.

As time passes the apparent sweetness fades and becomes a silky-sort-of viscous-ness that coats the tongue with apple goodness.I bottle almost all of my applejack into 12 oz or smaller bottles; after aging in the bottle for many months the rate of oxidation after opening is very fast. If you put the a/j back in the freezer after opening, it will almost stop the oxidation process. Even if you put the a/j in the fridge with a cap on it, after a few days the flavor will will to become more like a tawny port. Another way to tell is, if your a/j was crystal clear when bottled, you will start to see a thin layer of a powdery light colored "dust" at the bottom of the bottle. I realize using small bottles are a pain labor-wise, but if you only want a couple of shots to end the day with or share with a couple of friends, trying to keep a quart fresh tasting is almost impossible.
EDIT: I strongly suggest to anyone making applejack that it be bottled and capped cold, like ice cold or just out of the freezer cold. As it warms from very cold to room temperature or so during bottle conditioning, the tiny bit of pressure created by the pressure change helps to keep the contents fresh. I do not want to add chemicals to my bottles to prevent oxidation during aging, and over the last three-plus years I have been making a/j, I have never had a bottle go "bad" during aging.

Honeyjack! Yep, thats what the cyserjack tastes like. Apple honey goodness.. I can only imagine what this will be like in a year. I am looking for some small bottles to put all this stuff in.

We have 7 gallons of Pappy's waiting too, it is destiny.:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

I moved all my applejack into 125-500ml mason jars.

Need more mason jars and carboys!

How full did you fill them? We have a lot of jars (LOTS) I was even just looking at jaybirds site dreaming of a tri clover jar to jar draining set up.

Then I got thinking what about keg to keg? Could it be done?????? How long do you suppose it would take for five gallons to start slushing up?

:D

I filled them pretty full, Right to the threads basically. I store my applejack in a fridge.

Are you talking about putting the cider/wine into freezer in kegs or jars and then draining once it slushes?

I wouldn't semi-freeze liquids inside a glass or keg myself, i find the 2l plastic pop bottles work very well and dirt cheap.

I filled them pretty full, Right to the threads basically. I store my applejack in a fridge.

Are you talking about putting the cider/wine into freezer in kegs or jars and then draining once it slushes?

I wouldn't semi-freeze liquids inside a glass or keg myself, i find the 2l plastic pop bottles work very well and dirt cheap.

Yeah, I was thinking to freeze the cider to a slush right in a keg. Take it out and slowly transfer to another keg with pressure as it thaws. Back and forth a couple times and there it is ready to bottle from a keg.

Of course I would have to empty the kezzer to try this, so probably never happen.

I used gatorade bottles this go around.

Oh Applejack, Oh Applejack, how I love thee (flavor), Oh Applejack, Oh, Applejack how I love thees' branches; the juice we get and we ferment, sent to the freezers' our lament, Oh Applejack, Oh Applejack, oh how much we love thee!!!

Oh Applejack, Oh Applejack, How I love thee,
with your cool glow, you melt the snow,
bright n warm, you fight the storm for me
OOOH Applejack, OOOOh Applejack, How I Love Theeeeeeeeeeee

This is off topic, but i had to write it while I remembered it. A woman and a man meet in a bar and decide to go home together, as the man takes off his shirt the woman comments on how large his chest is and his response is, "Ma'am, everything is bigger in Texas." As he continues to undress, the woman comments on how large his body parts are. They are soon busy conjugating the verb and the man asks the woman, "Ma'am, what part of Texas are you from?" Wait, I think I met her once somewhere in Arizona.

Back