OG way to low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moeser

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brewed a Maibock from extract and just finished topping up the carboy with water and pitched the yeast. I then checked the OG and it's shockingly low at 1.022. I guess I added too much water while topping it up. I tasted the sample in my hydrometer jar, and it's definitely too thin.

Keeping in mind that I overfilled the carboy with water and have limited head space, how do I fix this?

Ingredients I have on hand:
1lb light DME
0.5lb wheat DME
3.3lb wheat LME
5lb dextrose
1lb honey
1lb powdered sugar
Some plain old corn syrup and table sugar.

It's a pretty common issue for ANYONE topping off with water in the fermenter (and that includes partial mashes, extract or all grain revcipes) to have an error in reading the OG...In fact, it is actually nearly impossible to mix the wort and the top off water in a way to get an accurate OG reading...

Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample.

When I am doing an extract with grain recipe I make sure to stir for a minimum of 5 minutes (whipping up a froth to aerate as well) before I draw a grav sample and pitch my yeast....It really is an effort to integrate the wort with the top off water...This is a fairly common new brewer issue we get on here...unless you under or over topped off or the final volume for the kit was 5 gallons and you topped off to 5.5, then the issue, sorry to say, is "operator error"

If your target volume was correct, then it will be fine.

More than likely your true OG is really what it's supposed to be. And it will mix itself fine during fermentation.

I'm with Revvy on this, there's no way that your gravity is actually missing, it was probably just resting comfortably on the bottom of your bucket when you took the reading.

Lower than expected gravity is something that starts happening when you're mashing, but when you're working with extract and sugar there's virtually no way for it to be an actual issue.

Latest posts

Back