OG very low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrydcarter

Reaction score
So had an issue in my brewing last night. My OG was way low. It was cold out and I brewed after the sun went down outside. Gain bill was...

10lb. 6oz Briess 2-row
1lb Munich
1lb Crystal 20L
8oz Victory

I mashed in 5.75 gals of water. My target mash temp was 153F, I hit 152F. I mashed for an hour then took a sample for an iodine test which told me no starch was present. My mash ended at 146F which is a lot of loss. In the summer I don't lose any heat at all. I added one gal boiling water which brought the temp up to 168F and began to lauter. When the wort volume in the mash tun started to get low I started sparging with 169F water until I had collected 7 gals of water. I do not have a refractometer so do not know the pre boil gravity. I boiled for 80 minutes and had an ending volume of 5 gals. My OG was only 1.060. That seems low. The other week I mash just 12lb. Briess 2-row the same way and got an OG of 1.072. Any help with this? Why was my OG so low? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That OG is about right for that grain bill. It puts your efficiency around 70-75%. I am just going from memory and did not plug it into my brew software.

Someone changed the brewhouse efficiency to 85% on my spreadsheet I just noticed (and by someone I mean me when I was playing with numbers and forget to set it back). So I built the grain amusing 85% yield because of this when I normally only get 74ish %. This time I only got 63.59% though.

Back