OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wus67

Reaction score
I did a midwest partial mash pale ale kit a couple of weeks ago, and not realizing it (stupid me) the OG was only 1.031, according to the directions it shoud have been around 1.042 or so. It's already into the secondary, and I saw a ton of action out of the airlock during initial fermentarion, so I know it worked to a point, but probably too late to try and boost the sugars. My question is will this have any real effect on the beer it self or is it just going to lower the ABV?

If your OG was accurate, yes it will lower the ABV. Did you do a partial boil and add water? If you did, did you mix the hell out of it before you took your OG? Many times they stay seperate without vigorous stiring and the OG is a higher percentage of water than wort, thus a lower OG. I wouldn't worry a bit. In the end you will have beer.

bluemoose said:
If your OG was accurate, yes it will lower the ABV. Did you do a partial boil and add water? If you did, did you mix the hell out of it before you took your OG? Many times they stay seperate without vigorous stiring and the OG is a higher percentage of water than wort, thus a lower OG. I wouldn't worry a bit. In the end you will have beer.

Yep, partial boil, I did mix it, but not vigorously, probably too little in the long run, no worries, just wondering.

Back