OG off the mark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
On my first batch the OG is listed as 1044 but after cooling I only measured my wort to be 1031. Is it common to be off the listed OG, or did I make some sort of mistake?

I'm brewing Northern Brewers Nut Brown Ale

Did you make adjustment for temp? If not im sure thats where your problem is at. Also did you stir your water in good?

Yeah I made adjust ments for temperature, but I was only at ~74 degrees so I only had to add 001 or so to the reading, from what I understand that is. I measured after I added the few gallons to my carboy which seemed to integrate fairly well. I hadn't added my yeast at that point if that makes a difference.

Yeah if you don't mix in the water by shaking or mixing the water is going to sit on top and give you a low reading. Im sure your fine and your right at 74 degrees not much adjustment is needed.

Ryanh1801 said:
Yeah if you don't mix in the water by shaking or mixing the water is going to sit on top and give you a low reading. Im sure your fine and your right at 74 degrees not much adjustment is needed.
Ryanh is correct. You need to shake the heck out of it or stir like crazy to get the wort properly mixed into the top off water. If you added all the extract and toped off to the correct amount you should be fine.
RDWHAHB. :mug:

Back