og/fg reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtibrews2

Reaction score
Okay im back......been about three weeks. FG was at 1.20
OG was 1.60...

Can someone tell me my ABV?

And perhaps link me to a how page?

It's the zombie dust clone...

I think you meant 1.060 & FG 1.020? Cooper's formula is (OG-FG)/ 7.46 + .5= ABV if memory serves? Equals 5.86%. (1060-1020) = 40/7.46= 5.361930294906166 rounded to 5.36 + .5 = 5.86%. The .5 is for carbonation in bottles.

5.25%.....It needs to be at 7%
Should I just leave it alone or cook some left over crystal malt to give it a boost?

Should I just leave it alone or cook some left over crystal malt to give it a boost?

I'd leave it alone. Adding wort from steeped crystal malt will make it sweeter, but won't get you to 7%.

Why does it "need" to be at 7%? If you need a higher ABV, next time start with a higher OG at the beginning (using more malt extract or base malt).

You needed your OG to be at least 1.065 to get 7%. Not sure what yeast your working with. I also would not add more sugar at this point. Enjoy your Session Zombie Dust! As long as it tastes good, right?

Adding crystal will NOT do anything to boost the abv. If you added anything, it would be sugar. However, since you are new, you would be better off letting it be in the fermenter for another couple weeks, then bottling it and learning from how it turns out. The less you mess with a beer, the better.

Speaking of FG, did you get that same number 2-3 days apart with two hydrometer tests? Seems a high by 100 points or so for a 1.060 OG?

Instead of worrying about it I will just wait a bit and call it a ball....it smells amazing and the clarity and color is beautiful.

Back