OG comming out low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJordan

Reaction score
I've just recently started brewing with all grain recipes. I have a book called "Clone brews, recipes for 200 commercial beers". I've so far I've done a Paulaner Hefe-weissbier, Ayinger Maibock and Barbar beigian honey ale. I have followed every all grain recipe perfectly. but for some reason my original gravity is 10 points lower than the brewer's specs in the book. An I doing something wrong here? I use 1.25 quarts of water per pound, mash at the appropriate temp. I even do the iodine test to be sure all is well before sparging with 1 gallon of water at the appropriate temp. the finished product seems to taste fine, but the ABV is lower than the specs of course because I'm 10 points low on the OG. any ideas? :confused:

Are you sparging? I've enjoyed beer too much while brewing and didn't sparge well and was down 1 or 2%. Beer tasted great, just a 6% rather than 8%.

To make sure I hit the mark, I've added an extra pound of grain to play it safe.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think the recipe book you have uses a way higher efficiency than the one you have. You basically have 2 options. First, add more grains to the recipe to compensate the lower efficiency. Second, maybe you are missing something while mashing or you are low on equipment. It could be the temperature, the time.. A lot of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back