off to a bad start with corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andythomas34

Reaction score
So this is crazy. i just got kegs from kegconnection .i cant pop the top on them dont want to wreck them ,are they under pressure and if so where can i release pressure ,this sounds dumb but i just dont want to bust keg

One of the safety items with kegs is that they won't open until you release the pressure.

If you have a pressure relief valve, you just pull up on the ring. It should release the pressure, and then the top will open. If you don't have a pressure relief valve (but you should), you can use the tip of a butter knife and push down on one of the posts, and it'll release the pressure.

there is a little valve in the middle. ~1inch diameter. You pull that to release all the pressure. Once the pssssssss stops you can open the top fully.

thanks i used a butter knife ,its weird i see what looks like a pressure release valve in the middle but i cant see how i could even get at it to pull it up plyers maybe ,and one of my kegs looks like the only way you could get at it would be a needle or somthing?

Usually there is a key-ring-like metal ring you pull to release the pressure (see pic). If you don't have that ring the whole should be there, just thread some wire though it to make your own pull-tab.
keg-lid.jpg

These are basically just key rings from the looks of mine. They are really inexpensive, check the dollar store or your local wal-clone and pick up a handful. I had to replace a few on my kegs that are bent/old/dirty.

If you don't have a pressure relief valve (but you should), you can use the tip of a butter knife and push down on one of the posts, and it'll release the pressure.

thanks i used a butter knife

I would recommend using the tip of a ball point pen (without the ink ball exposed - non-writing mode). Any metal object could potentially cut/scrape a groove/nick in the valve head, causing a permanent leak.

I use a bamboo chopstick to push down the poppets on my kegs. No scratches and the blunt tip is like the perfect diameter for this application.

if it's a pin lock keg it could need a bleeder tool but like others have said find something blunt to depress the gas post.

Back