off flavor in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmont

Reaction score
I just finished 30 gallons of mead. 5 of the 6 carboys came out great, but #6 has a noticeable sulfuric flavor and smell. It's not real strong but it's definitely there. Whatever it is, it happened in the tertiary, where it sat for one month to settle out and clear. I added no sulfites, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why the yeast might produce excessive sulfur compounds so late in the ferment? It was bone dry and beginning to drop coming out of secondary... I'd like to understand this so as to prevent it in the future.

Last, though it is pretty drinkable as is, I'm considering trying the aeration thing to see if I can get the sulfur to dissipate out. Am I going to oxidize it if I do? Perhaps another dose of k meta would be in order if I aerate?

Thanks -

I'd degas instead of aerate. Degasing lets CO2 out, aerating lets O2 in. I've had wine that smelled slightly sulphurous, I thought it might've been lack of nutrient(s), but never found out for certain. That sulphur did eventually age out & left me with a great wine. Some yeast strains make sulphur during fermentation, that might be your source, usually more nutrients will help reduce or even eliminate those sulphur compounds.
Regards, GF.

I understand the difference in concept between degassing vs areating; but procedurally speaking, what would you be doing differently?

I use a cheap whip like this
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_34_458&products_id=2101

It seals the carboy pretty well. a few quick bursts to see if I'm getting visible outgassing then a long steady whip for a few minutes. If I do see outgassing, I go slower until I know I'm not going to get too much foaming out of the carboy. it will get the co2 and sulfur out, repeat in a week or so.

Thanks for the replies. I have never degassed anything before, but it sounds like it's time to learn. I certainly have nothing to lose on this batch.

But I think I will start making a habit of it in the future as well. It will be nice to have some meads that are truly still meads. I did a bit of research, and read that wines (and I assume meads too ...) need some time to recover after degassing, even several months sometimes, as their flavor tends to be adversely affected. (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp - scroll down to "Degassing Wine")

Can anyone corroborate this? Is it likely that the wine might degas anyway, if left to bulk age in the carboy for several months?

Thanks -

Thanks for the replies. I have never degassed anything before, but it sounds like it's time to learn. I certainly have nothing to lose on this batch.

But I think I will start making a habit of it in the future as well. It will be nice to have some meads that are truly still meads. I did a bit of research, and read that wines (and I assume meads too ...) need some time to recover after degassing, even several months sometimes, as their flavor tends to be adversely affected. (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp - scroll down to "Degassing Wine")

Can anyone corroborate this? Is it likely that the wine might degas anyway, if left to bulk age in the carboy for several months?

Thanks -

As far as "time to recover from degassing" I don't know, but ALL wine/mead/cider will degas on it's own in time if left to bulk age, that much I KNOW. I'd just let it sit there for a few more months & then draw a sample; odds arew good that sulphur taste will age out.
Regards, GF.

Back