Off flavor from keg to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeuceDog

Reaction score
Since I've started kegging I've been always bottling a six pack of every batch. I've done this with a carbonated keg and a beer gun, but foaming was an issue and I always made a mess. I figured an easier and cleaner way would be to bottle immediately after I rack to the keg while the beer is still flat and drop a carbonation drop in each bottle.

Two particular batches, a honey blonde ale and a light scotch ale, have both tasted awesome in the keg all the way to the last drop. I just recently tried a bottle of each of these beers, and both have a strong clove character, almost like a saison aftertaste. I’ve bottled for a couple of years and have never had an infection or another beer with a similar flavor. The only source of contamination would be my beer gun and hose, the bottles, or the carbonation drops. I’ve only used my beer gun half a dozen times and always clean it after each use and sanitize with star san before each use. My bottle sanitation is the same as it’s always been.

My initial thought was the flavor was coming from the carbonation drops, as I’ve only used them in this case. I’ve search the threads and it seems this is not likely. The yeast I used for both was US-05 and I fermented around 60 °F, and since the kegs tasted fine, I don’t think fermentation or yeast is the issue. I used a beer gun to bottle the flat beer from the kegs, but didn’t purge the bottles with CO2. I wouldn’t think it would be oxidation as when I used to bottle normally, I never purged the bottles.

The only other variable that’s new to my process is the use of gelatin in the primary before kegging for both of these brews. Is it possible that the gelatin had stripped out so much yeast, that the remaining yeast in the bottles got super stressed when carbing and produced this off flavor?

I’m just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I think its just that extra bit of sugar you are putting in the bottle. I can also notice a difference between the bottle and the keg if i use sugar to prime in the bottle!

Over the weekend I tried some other brews that I bottled the same way, and they were fine. I'm thinking that maybe I hadn’t cleaned and sanitized the beer gun well enough. I don’t always take it completely apart, and I might not have got to the spot between the beer tube and CO2 line.

Back