"Off Flavor" Bavarian Hefeweizen - NB Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlutoA10C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm relatively new to homebrew (and love it, by the way!). I've done about 10 brews over the last year or so. 2 of them were Bavarian Hefeweizens and both (2 different kits, one from Northern Brew and one from Midwest - similar recipes, but different yeasts). Here's the issue:

- Both recipes produced flavors I don't detect in professional (Weihenstepaner) brews and don't particularly like.
- I realize they will not be the same, but based on reading I may have a phenol or esther problem - what do they taste like? I do not smell the normal "bready" odor I expect (and like).
- I do not have a refined pallet, I don't know the difference between a phenol or esther flavor.
- I do not notice an overly "banana" odor or taste. As I said - no bready aroma or flavor.
- Zero head retention, although I understand this can be due to numerous issues, I don't seem to have issues with other brews.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Cheers! Dave

What does it smell like , what does it taste like ?

No clove , banana , slight tartness at all?
Now that you mention it, it does smell/taste like clove. It's a "finish" flavor predominantly. To be clear, I don't think the beer is bad, it simply has a flavor I don't prefer.

Did you use dry (WB-06) yeast? That would make a not-Hefeweizen.

I used Liquid Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast and I made a 1 liter starter with it the day before brew day - put the entire starter in the 5 gallon batch. From what I've read, overpitching shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

I never use a starter for my hefes ,as I'm closer to under pitching them . It helps with esters and phenols. Fermentation temps play a role in either banana or clove. Hefes are supposed to have that slight tartness to them .

As for water , you should use ro water when using extract. Of course you have a filter , so it really depends on that . For instance, at work we have a water pitcher that has the filter in the top . Just for kicks I brought my TDS meter in to check just how well the filter worked. To my surprise it didn't work well at all . Maybe knocked out 10 ppm .

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/weihenstephan-wheat
" The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. "

As somewhat already mentioned, next time maybe skip the starter and add a couple degrees to the fermentation temps. It'll shift you towards the banana ester flavor and away from the clove phenol flavor.

I never use a starter for my hefes ,as I'm closer to under pitching them . It helps with esters and phenols. Fermentation temps play a role in either banana or clove. Hefes are supposed to have that slight tartness to them .

As for water , you should use ro water when using extract. Of course you have a filter , so it really depends on that . For instance, at work we have a water pitcher that has the filter in the top . Just for kicks I brought my TDS meter in to check just how well the filter worked. To my surprise it didn't work well at all . Maybe knocked out 10 ppm .

So, I should try under, not overpitching, next time and see what kind of change that makes - appreciate the advice.

Regarding the water, this is the filter I use: https://www.amazon.com/PUR-Reductio...=pur+filter+replacement&qid=1615565140&sr=8-5

Not sure what you mean by "ro" water, sorry. Thanks again!

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/weihenstephan-wheat
" The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. "

As somewhat already mentioned, next time maybe skip the starter and add a couple degrees to the fermentation temps. It'll shift you towards the banana ester flavor and away from the clove phenol flavor.

Tracer, appreciate the advice - validates Jag75's comments. I'll definitely give both suggestions a try next go around! Cheers!

So, I should try under, not overpitching, next time and see what kind of change that makes - appreciate the advice.

Regarding the water, this is the filter I use: https://www.amazon.com/PUR-Reductio...=pur+filter+replacement&qid=1615565140&sr=8-5

Not sure what you mean by "ro" water, sorry. Thanks again!

Just skip the starter and ferment on the warmer side of yeast parameters like @tracer bullet mentioned. RO water is Reverse Osmosis. Its water thats very low in minerals . Brewers use it to build water profiles for different beers . They also use distilled water as well. Kind of like a blank slate.

RO water is an interesting idea. I'd normally caution that changing your water or adding stuff to it is a bad idea if you don't know where you are starting (i.e. lab analysis of your water), but that's true for all-grain beer. For extract... it's worth looking into. Might have a lot of what you need already there? Then again this is style dependent, what you want for a hefe, stout, or IPA can be very different. Might get you closer or farther away, hard to say.

RO water is an interesting idea. I'd normally caution that changing your water or adding stuff to it is a bad idea if you don't know where you are starting (i.e. lab analysis of your water), but that's true for all-grain beer. For extract... it's worth looking into. Might have a lot of what you need already there? Then again this is style dependent, what you want for a hefe, stout, or IPA can be very different. Might get you closer or farther away, hard to say.

With extract the minerals and mash ph were already established. Adding reg tap water ( high minerals) depending on water source is adding extra minerals to that wort . When I first started brewing I used tap water , which mine is great for brewing dark beers but not lighter ones. I had some off flavors but it wasn't terrible . It was just there . Once I went to using RO water with extract kits it was noticeably better.

Thanks all, I'm getting ready to move, but when I get my Beer Cave set up, I'll invest in the water analysis so I at least know from where I'm starting.

Cheers!

While its nice to know what your working with i do recommend a mash program and using RO water to build

Edit: when brewing AG that is .

Last edited:
Try using Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast. I recently did an open ferment @68 in a sterilite container I got at Wal Mart. Transferred to a closed fermenter after four days (too soon) When I bottled it tasted just like the Hefe's I drank while stationed in Germany. Popped a top a few days ago, great taste (for an extract beer), closest I have gotten to a German Hefe. Will be brewing an all grain soon....

It was a Northern Brewer Bavarian Hefeweizen kit I got off of Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015T8OX00/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . You'll have to order the yeast separate.

In my experience with hefe's it's mostly the yeast that makes it a good hefe. I've tried liquid yeasts with varying degrees of success, but I am excited about the lallemand Munich Classic. Open fermentation does have an impact. Like I said, I used a 60qt sterilite container with a bottling spigot for when I transferred. Keep the lid on, it's loose enough to allow CO2 to escape. I skimmed the yeast at four days and transferred; next time I'll still skim at about four days but will wait to transfer when the krausen has all but fallen. Good luck!

Back