Off Flavor After Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyLab

Reaction score
I made a pilsner back in the spring time and aged it for a few months. I then tapped the keg in July. Before the keg kicked I bottled 3 beers to enter into a competition in the beginning of September. Just got the results back today and it was terrible. The judges stated that the beer had a heavy solvent taste!

The beer was very drinkable had a light body and really my only complaint was a lack of flavor. What could have happen in the bottle to cause such a major flavor change? I've read solvent taste comes from oxidation. Could the beer have oxidized while in the bottle?

I turned in two other beers which received much better scores. One even won first place in the fruit beers category, so not all was lost. Just scratching my head on how the pilsner went bad. Any ideas?

What's your technique for bottling from a keg and did you do the exact same thing for all of your entries? What styles were the others?

Did you have some of what you sent, from the bottle?

Always bottle off a few extras. If you blindly sent off beers to them without tasting them first, that is madness! You want to be able to take their input and try to taste it when drinking it. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to do anything with their feedback.

dtwhite- I used the same technique for all my entries. Sanitize bottles, cool in kegerator, purge with CO2, turn off CO2 to keg, then fill with tube from bottom up of the bottle. Other styles were an IPA and a Strawberry Lager.

241- This one was madness. It was a last minute decision to send in this beer. Didn't bottle any extras of the Pilsner. Had extras of the strawberry and IPA.

I have had beers go bad ion the bottle. But I believe that was a slight infection incurred at bottling, growing worse over time. I also had a judge detect a strong alcohol taste in my Irish Red that neither the other judge nor anyone else ever reported. If you can't figure it out, shrug it off.

Back