# of kegs vs kegerator capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is my Kegarator! it is currently setup for both stouts and ales (CO2/nitro and CO2)

its small, I can fit 4 - 5 gallon kegs in it and not much else - but i think it came out great.
IMG_0012.jpg

the inside - I can configure 2 stouts and 2 Ales or 3 Ales and 1 stout. quick disconnects for easy access.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

6 kegs, 4 taps. 1 empty keg right now that gets an ESB racked to it sometime in the next few days when I have time.

Keezer can fit 5 kegs total so I can have one pseudo cold crashing or would like to try lagering a batch soon.

Just started kegging recently, so 3 kegs, no taps. Will be getting 4 more kegs, a keezer and 3 or 4 taps once I can afford it (starting with a single picnic for now and perlicks after that).

I have 4 taps and 18 five gallon ball lock kegs and one 3 gallon ball lock.

I've got 4 and 4 - though I'm only just getting started...

For those who age in the kegs - how exactly does that work? Do a few weeks in primary, then just treat the keg as secondary until whenever the heck you're ready to hook it up? Or primary for a few weeks, secondary for a few more, then rack to keg and age? Just curious about how long you can leave a beer - say a RIS, which I'd really like to brew at some point - in secondary without ill effects from whatever sediment settles out of it...

For those who age in the kegs - how exactly does that work? Do a few weeks in primary, then just treat the keg as secondary until whenever the heck you're ready to hook it up? Or primary for a few weeks, secondary for a few more, then rack to keg and age? Just curious about how long you can leave a beer - say a RIS, which I'd really like to brew at some point - in secondary without ill effects from whatever sediment settles out of it...

Short answer: Yes.

I've done it each way that you described. You can use the keg as a tertiary, secondary, or even primary if you want. In order to use it as a primary, you'd need a spare gas coupler, a short hose bent to an elbow and an airlock, or if you brew a full 5 gallons you'd want to use a longer hose and pail in place of the airlock.

Nice thing about kegs is they're cheaper than carboys, easier to clean, and durable. You just can't watch the pretty bubbles as easy.

6 taps, 11 kegs for now. I'm aiming for around 20 kegs ultimately. Want 6 on tap at all times and more in back up.

Back