Odor while mashing in cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
Sadly, my SWMBO won't allow me to brew in the house due to the odor of the mash. She doesn't like it (crazy, right?) So I always have to brew at my buddies house instead. However, I'd be able to brew more often at my own house if it were possible ( I have 2 kids and a full time job, so it isn't very easy to plan a brew day and get out of the house alone for a few hours.)

We currently do BIAB on the stove top and moving the operation outside is not an option. Nor is taking my kids with me. So I was thinking of doing BIAB using a cooler as the mash tun - my thinking is that maybe the odor won't be so bad and then I could boil the wort inside and brew as usual from there.

So my question is, will using the cooler as my mash tun eliminate most, if not all of the unwanted (by her) odor? I know the hops will still bring a smell, but I don't think that would be a problem for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's some aroma associated with mashing but the real glory is the boil. If you have no garage I think you should try to figure out some way you can brew outdoors. It's hard for me to imagine someone truly being offended by the aroma associated with brewing unless they really just despise brewing or beer or...?

It would cost a lot to upgrade in order to take it outside or to the garage, which is why that's not an option right now. She hates the smell with a passion, but does enjoy beer, including my home brew.

I will say that I mash indoors with a cut sanke keg that has a very snug-fitting lid and boil outside, and my whole house smells (deliciously, to me and most) like mash for at least the next 24 hours. You might be able to do less...lid openings than I do through the course of things (never open after dough-in / no-sparge, take the mash tun outside to empty and clean), but I'm not sure you're going to get away from the smell either way.

Although I don't know if I understand why it would cost a lot to brew in the garage - $30 burner with stand, maybe some more for propane over time / # of batches? What else do you really need vs. being inside?

Several options that you may want to look into is getting a turkey fryer and do a BIAB outside. This way you can still do all grain without a huge expense.

Another option is to get ventilation where you brew inside. A large enough fan can suck the smell right out before she can even smell it.

Good Luck!

Although I don't know if I understand why it would cost a lot to brew in the garage - $30 burner with stand, maybe some more for propane over time / # of batches? What else do you really need vs. being inside?

Well I assumed it would cost more than that to get a burner, but it'd also be a good idea to then upgrade the kettle, as we only now have a 6 gallon, which works mostly for partial mashes, especially for big beers. That's why I was thinking a simple 10 gallon cooler would be a cheap upgrade and perhaps take care of the smell issue too.

The other thing about brewing outdoors/ garage is I wouldn't be able to help with the kids while brewing. This is an important aspect for me to be able to brew at home AND do so more often. Our system works fine at my buddies, but I could do it more often here at my house.

I really don't know why the smell bothers her so much, but she won't budge on this. And I can't push too hard, as she has already given in on many things, including me brewing in the first place.

Well I assumed it would cost more than that to get a burner, but it'd also be a good idea to then upgrade the kettle, as we only now have a 6 gallon, which works mostly for partial mashes, especially for big beers. That's why I was thinking a simple 10 gallon cooler would be a cheap upgrade and perhaps take care of the smell issue too.

The other thing about brewing outdoors/ garage is I wouldn't be able to help with the kids while brewing. This is an important aspect for me to be able to brew at home AND do so more often. Our system works fine at my buddies, but I could do it more often here at my house.

I really don't know why the smell bothers her so much, but she won't budge on this. And I can't push too hard, as she has already given in on many things, including me brewing in the first place.

One thing that I do is brew when the kid goes down at night. This way I can help and spend time with the kids\family and make beer.

True re: the kettle, I s'pose. If you got a big enough kettle, you could let it do its thing during the boil (as you could during the mash I reckon) and would be free to help with the kids inside a lot of the time. But yeah, a kettle can be a bit pricey if you can't find a good deal on something used.

Like Hamaki said I would think there'd still be enough / more odor from the boil itself, and there's no way outside of yeah, a fancy / nice ventilation system to get away from that.

I am in a similar situation, although it seems from your description that my wife is a bit more tolerant/understanding of the smell. To move the party outside on a budget, you could buy a budget 10-15 gallon pot (like the Bayou Classic 44qt or 62qt which is abundant on the internet for less then $100), get a cheap valve from ebay for around $20, and get a burner (like the sp10) for less than $50. If you used a 10 gallon cooler mashtun ($45 for the cooler and $15 for a valve, $15 for a bazooka) you would be good to go. As far as helping with the kids, I offer my alternative solution, as I have 2 little ones myself: wake up at 5 or 6 am and brew. I am usually done with the brew day by 10. I am not a morning person at all, but it is nice to be outside when no one is around and take some "me" time.

Good luck :mug:

My SWMBO was the same way when I started brewing. I moved to the garage, but the smell still found it's way inside. My solution, she let me build a dedicated brewshed.

Sadly, my SWMBO won't allow me to brew in the house due to the odor of the mash. She doesn't like it (crazy, right?) So I always have to brew at my buddies house instead. However, I'd be able to brew more often at my own house if it were possible ( I have 2 kids and a full time job, so it isn't very easy to plan a brew day and get out of the house alone for a few hours.)

We currently do BIAB on the stove top and moving the operation outside is not an option. Nor is taking my kids with me. So I was thinking of doing BIAB using a cooler as the mash tun - my thinking is that maybe the odor won't be so bad and then I could boil the wort inside and brew as usual from there.

So my question is, will using the cooler as my mash tun eliminate most, if not all of the unwanted (by her) odor? I know the hops will still bring a smell, but I don't think that would be a problem for her.

I'm struck by the "won't allow" statement! Do you not work and/or participate in paying the mortgage/rent?
Is she "not allowed" any hobby activities that you don't like?

BTW- I've been married 37 years!

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Currently, I usually brew at my buddies, after the kids go to bed. That gets me home at about 1 AM. It's not ideal, but I guess it'll have to work for now. I think my long term solution is to look for bargains on upgrade equipment. Or maybe somehow get her slowly used to the smell...

Govner1 - I know I probably sound like that guy from the Hangover who is p-whipped by his girlfriend, ("She beats him!" "That was once and I deserved it.") but I think she has compromised quite a bit as I've progressed in this addictive hobby.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Currently, I usually brew at my buddies, after the kids go to bed. That gets me home at about 1 AM. It's not ideal, but I guess it'll have to work for now. I think my long term solution is to look for bargains on upgrade equipment. Or maybe somehow get her slowly used to the smell...

Govner1 - I know I probably sound like that guy from the Hangover who is p-whipped by his girlfriend, ("She beats him!" "That was once and I deserved it.") but I think she has compromised quite a bit as I've progressed in this addictive hobby.

I guess I'm lucky. My wife got me started in home brewing and has even been the one to suggest additions to my brewery that include a 2door True cooler for commercial beer & the addition of a deep commercial SS sink & table plus hose bibs for hot & cold water.
Her latest addition gives me a 15 CF lagering/cold crash fridge.
I chose well

D

I guess I'm lucky. My wife got me started in home brewing and has even been the one to suggest additions to my brewery that include a 2door True cooler for commercial beer & the addition of a deep commercial SS sink & table plus hose bibs for hot & cold water.
Her latest addition gives me a 15 CF lagering/cold crash fridge.
I chose well

D

She's a keeper!

For the OP, I wonder which is the lesser evil in her eyes, staying at a friend's till 1:00 AM or brewing at home? Outdoor brewing can be done with minimal investment. I did many batches (15 - 20?) with a $35, 7.5 gal aluminum pot from WalMart, a propane weed torch and an old ice chest, both of which we already had.

If she just doesn't want you brewing, address that. If it really is just the smell, take it outside. Do it early or late, if you must, to maintain quality time with the kids.

Yes you did, govner1. Yes you did. Can you have your wife call mine, please?

Hamaki - I love to brew, so I've been able to find a way to do about a batch a month (have only been in this for about 7 months now). In a perfect world, I'd do it every weekend, but family time has to take precedence for me (Just had our second kid too). Like I said, she's softening over time, so hopefully that will continue...

Back