Odor and cloudiness during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkliph

Reaction score
So this was my firs BIAB batch, and first time I've used a glass carboy for primary - so first time I've seen what is going on inside.

I have a 75 OG Saison inside, been in primary for 5 days, fermenting for four and still going at 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds.

Two questions:

First, I can smell an odor from the airlock. There is a hint of a sulphur in the whiffs I get, it's not awful, I've just never noticed a smell like that before. Its only noticable when I get close to the airlock.

Second, the beer has become cloudier each day since fermenting. It's nearly opaque, and a consistent opaque color from top to bottom of the carboy. As I said, I've never seen it before because I've always used plastic. is this just the yeast spreading throughout the entire wort? Or could there be a bacterial infection with this combined with the smell?

Thanks

Don't worry about it. The cloudiness is normal and the smell is likely normal too for that type of yeast. Given time the yeast will "cleanup" after itself and if your beer is not infected it should go away with time. I like to use cloudiness as a partial bottling time gauge. When the beer is done it will be clear, the airlock wont go hardly at all and the S.G. will not change over the course of 2-3 days.

I wouldn't fret too much about either. Belgian strains (and others) can sometimes kick off some sulphur odor. Clarity should improve towards the end of the ferment.

Latest posts

Back