Odells 90 shilling clone (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the Brew Hut recipe site. The time for this hop addition is missing.

"?? minutes from the end of the boil add the following FLAVOR HOPS.50 ounce - Mount Hood"
Should the minutes be 20, 15??

Also anyone tried this? My son had the Brand name version at his wedding and Id like to make some for him. I am not at the all grain point yet. This will be enough for my current skill set. Any recommendations or help would be appreciated

Recipe from The Brew Hut

Ingredients and procedures for brewing 5 gallons of Odells 90 Shilling
(Extract Method)

1) Add 1 1/2 gallons of water to the brewing pot. Pour the crushed grains into a grain bag and tie the bag closed. Place the bag into the water and allow the grains to steep over .
medium heat (the water should be steamy, not boiling). After 30 minutes, remove the pot from the heat, remove and discard the grain bag

Grains used in this recipe:

.50 lbs. Cara Pils
1.50 lbs. Crystal 60
.50 lbs. Chocolate

2) Pour the following malt extract(s) into the pot while stirring constantly. Return the pot to the heat and bring the contents of the pot, now called wort, to a boil.

Malt extract(s) used in this recipe:

6.00 lbs. Malt Syrup - Amber
1.00 lbs. Dry Malt - Light

3) The wort will boil for a total of 60 minutes during which time the following hops and other ingredients will be added to the boil.

At the start of the boil add the following BITTERING HOPS to boil for the entire 60 minutes:
1.00 ounce - Cascade

30 minutes from the end of the boil add the following FLAVOR HOPS:
1.00 ounce - Perle

?? minutes from the end of the boil add the following FLAVOR HOPS:
.50 ounce - Mount Hood

10 minutes from the end of the boil add the following AROMA HOPS:
.50 ounce - Mount Hood

Add the following other miscellaneous ingredients near the end of the boil:
15 minutes from the end of the boil add Irish Moss

4) At the end of the 60 minute boil, remove the pot from the heat then remove and discard the hop bags. Allow the wort to cool to about 90ºF. (Note: Use a wort chiller to hasten this very important step. Also, be sure that anything that will come into contact with the chilled wort is properly sanitized.)

5) While the wort is cooling, add 3 gallons of cold water to the primary fermenter. Add the chilled wort and enough additional cold water to bring the total volume up to 5 gallons. At this point, take a sample of the wort for the specific gravity reading, refer to your hydrometer instructions for taking this reading.

6) The proper temperature at which to pitch (add to the wort) the yeast is in the 65ºF-75ºF range. If necessary, place the fermenter into a cold (or warm) water bath to bring the temperature into this range . When the temperature is correct, pitch the yeast. (Note: If a dry yeast is used, rehydrate it prior to pitching by sprinkling it on top of 1/2 cup of water that has been boiled and cooled to 85ºF. Allow the yeast to rehydrate, unstirred, for no more than 15-20 minutes before pitching.) NOTE: The yeast required for this recipe is Wyeast #1056 American Ale, 1.0.

7) Install an airlock or blowoff hose to the fermenter and move the fermenter to a dark spot for primary fermentation.

8) Allow the beer to ferment for one week in the primary fermenter, then rack (transfer) the beer into a secondary fermenter for an additional week to clear. At the end of the second week, record the specific gravity reading. A steady specific gravity reading of different samples over two or more days indicates that fermentation is complete.

9) When fermentation is complete, proceed with bottling. In a bottling bucket, add 3/4 cup of corn sugar or 11/4 cups of dry malt that has been boiled in 2 cups of water. Gently rack the finished beer into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution. Using a bottle filling tip, fill the bottles to 1/2" - 1" from the top. Cap the bottles and allow them to condition at room temperature for two weeks.

Anyone else have any idea what the missing time is for the FLavor Hops 0.50 ounce - Mount Hood.
How about other opinions on the recipe? If its too hoppy how should I adjust it?

a 30 minute addition seems a little weird on there. I'd look into the target IBU range for the recipe and adjust accordingly. As for an aroma hops addition, I'd just go with 10-15 minutes. You're not going to make a huge difference in either of those numbers.

As a serious noob on this, How would I find the target IBU range for the recipe? We are talking serious noob. I wouldnt be trying this at all yet but its for my son. Id like to be able to do this for him.

Scottish 80/, the highest shilling in the BJCP style guidelines, has a bitterness range of 15-30 IBUs. From 60/ to 80/ the maximum IBU goes up by 5 IBUs so a 90/ could have a 20 - 35 IBU range.

Shillings also usually only have a bittering addition and very little hop flavor. These are malt focused beers.

Thanks, This recipe is from my LHBS and its one of the few I have found. Sounds like I either need to keep looking or hope someone can offer suggestions on how to fix this recipe.

Here is what I have learned about this recipe. It may not be right but its what I learned.

90 shilling is a scotch ale, Scotch ale's are high gravity beers.
With the LME and DME for this recipe the OG will be 1.053. Not what I call a high gravity beer.
Odells says this is a medium bodied beer 5.3% Alcohol By Volume 27 IBUs
"we'd been wondering - what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale."

I don't see the steeped grains adding enough to get to the 1.070 - 1.126 that is typical of a Scotch Ale.
The hop addition with the missing time may be a typo and should not be there at all. OR it might be there for the 20 minute mark.

Assuming the lowest AA% on the hops and using whole hops (I dont know why) I get a IBU of 36.6 Dropping the Mount hood hops completly gets me to 28.8 which is close to the 27 of the brand.

I have been told there are too many hops in this recipe, from what read that may be true. But not being a good home brew guy I don't know. Is there a way to plug this into some software and tell what is going on?

in other words... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plugged the recipe from The Brew Hut into Beersmith and I'm not too impressed with the results. Using default AA% for the hops provided in BeerSmith and the Rager formula for IBUs. Entered the "flavor" Mt Hood addition at 20 minutes for the flavor "sweet spot." Everything else is per the recipe.

Looks fairly bitter and coming in pretty dark from the software. Estimated ABV comes in a 5.37% with IBUs of 41 so that's off from the beer it is attempting to clone.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Odell's 90 Shilling
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 27.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
1 lbs         Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  10.53 %       
6 lbs         Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)           Extract      63.16 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        15.79 %       
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        5.26 %        
8.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        5.26 %        
1.00 oz       Cascade (Midwest) [6.30 %]  (60 min)      Hops         21.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Pearle [8.00 %]  (30 min)                 Hops         14.0 IBU      
0.50 oz       Mt. Hood [6.00 %]  (20 min)               Hops         3.5 IBU       
0.50 oz       Mt. Hood [6.00 %]  (10 min)               Hops         2.1 IBU       
0.25 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

mmb,
Thanks. So anyway to fix this or should I just forget it and look for another recipe? I can get an organic kit thats also supposed to be a clone. I'm not above using a kit.

What if I dropped the 1.00 oz of Pearle to reduce the IBU and reduced the chocolate malt to 4 oz? would that help the color at all or will it screw with the flavor too much?

The recipe on the Brew Hut site is classifying this as an American Brown Ale.

But, if you want a Scottish, then I'd do 2 things.

1. It's too dark. You can either remove the Crystal 60 since you're putting in that much Chocolate, or use 8oz of Crystal 60 and drop the Chocolate to 4oz.

2. Too hoppy and wrong hops. Do a single hop addition of a British style hop, like Fuggles of EKG, for 60 minutes. You can also use Willamette. Depending on AA%, do between 1oz to 1-1/2 oz, depending on your likings.

Latest posts

Back