Odd off-taste in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoofdogABC

Reaction score
Have a batch of beer using WLP 005 (british ale yeast). This was mashed at low 150's (cooler gives a decently wide temp range in various sample points no matter how much I stir) at a mash-temp ph around 5.1, a bit low as I understand it. og 1049, currently at 1014. Fermented between 67-68f, given the setup I don't think it would have gotten over 69 at any point even at most active ferm. time, in a 46f frig with a parka and lizardheater on it, thermowell inside. today (1014) is the 10th day post-pitch. fermentation started quickly. pitched from a starter.

From earliest gravity sample (1026 6 days ago) noticed an off-taste I had not run into before. To the nose, it is almost a sweet-metallic smell. It dominates the taste profile. I have not knowingly run into diacetyl, but wonder if this is it. In its current condition, this beer is undrinkable.

Any thoughts on what it may be, and what if anything I can do with it? I don't think it is a mash problem because I used the same wort for another batch with WLP04 which has worked out well and very tasty, if a bit low-attenuated (1020is, didn't budge after rousing).

Search HBT for the thread on getting rid of metallic taste. There's a simple solution - some chemical or something you buy and add to your beer before bottling/kegging. Your beer can be saved.

Thanks for the replies - this does seem odd because I used half of this wort for another beer which has worked out fine - the only difference is the yeast, and this was from a starter the same way I have always made them and the starter itself didn't have any of this odor. It leads me to suspect that the off-taste is a by-product of the yeast. I am often not good at describing odd tastes that don't correspond easily to anything I know, perhaps I described it poorly. It is MUCH more like someone put a cherry soda pop in my beer with a weird unpleasant twang to it.

Back